Price vs. value point

Hi Everyone,

Being rather new here, I'm facinated by some of the setups people have. Even more interesting is the $$$ tied up in them! I'm curious to know what the best bang for your buck price point is for HT. I currently have an integrated Sony amp bought almost 5 years ago, and I'm looking to upgrade. I've paged through the Audio Advisor catalog seeing the Yamaha, martinez, and paradigm amps. While they are nice, I'm unsure if I'll notice the difference between the $3k paradigm, and the $500 yamaha. Sure, speakers play into it alot, and I'm going to upgrading those as well. I'm currently looking at the Orb Audio systms mainly because of size. Not sure if I'm even going about this right...

Suggestions? Ideas?

thx,
mm
128x128martinman
I think you mean Parasound not Paradigm. Although Paradigm has a sister company, Anthem, that makes electronics but, I have never seen them at Audio Advisor.

The first main question is, what is your budget?

List all of the components in your system currently.

Are you wanting to stay with an integrated amp/pro?

Have you gone to listen to hi-end HT systems? If so, what is it that they do that your system doesn't, that you would like to have?

I am sure there is something I am forgeting to ask but, answer the questions above and you will get better suggestions.
Hi,

The discussion here focuses less on Home Theatre, and more on just playing music (i.e., without the TV part).

Many people here do have HT systems, and in some cases, they've got a music system at the "heart" of their HT system. In general, though, when people are listening to a movie (unless it's a concert movie), they want floor-rumbling bass and crashing theatrical effects, and they don't care so much about "fidelity."

Eldarado is exactly right. You have to hear some high-end systems before you decide whether this is something you care about. If you live in an urban area, visit the highest-end dealer you can find (selling stuff you can't possibly afford), make an appointment, and take a few CDs you know well (different styles of music).

If you are amazed at what you hear, welcome to the club. If you aren't amazed (either you don't hear a difference, or what you do hear doesn't seem very important), then congratulate yourself on having saved a lot of money!

Cordially,

Eric
Take a look at "Outlaw Audio"..."AV123"..."Odyssey Audio"..."ATI". All these companies have products that fit.

Dave
I mostly bought stuff for the sale prices.
The receiver: Denon 4806 for 50% off list as a demo. $1,500.
Speakers: Canton CD300 two pair and CD360 three separate.
The CD300 retail for 2grand a pair.. I paid $700. a pair and $200 @ for the CD360's.
They would not have been my first choice of brands.. but at 60 to 70% off, on new stock in boxes.. from a local dealer.. what is to complain about!
The fact that they sound pretty good, is enough for me.
Along with the new Denon DVD5910 for $1,200. Hah hah hahhhhhaaaa.
(and don't email me asking where.. that was a one time blowout supersale...)