Do I need Pro Logic IIx?

I have a 5.1 system and am upgrading my Marantz SR7000 to separate components. I've already picked up an amplifier and am looking around for a second hand processor. Systems with Pro Logic IIx are newer and second hand units harder to find and more expensive than those with Pro Logic II. From what I've read, Pro Logic II supports five speakers and Pro Logic IIx supports seven speakers. As my speaker set-up is 5.1 and I'm not interested in 7.1, would I be losing anything if I pass on the Pro Logic IIx and go with Pro Logic II?
raduray
Rad -

It may be an option to future proof. Although you may not be interested in PLIIx or other 7.1 variations, before long these formats will become more available on forms of media. Besides, you can also use the extra 2 channels for biamping until then.

IMO, If the prices are relatively the same between components you're looking at, then it wouldn't hurt to spend a few extra bucks for the extra channels.

The option is yours.
Hello again,

It would be cost effective to use the Marantz as the pre-amp but don't worry about the extra channels.

If you can sell the Marantz, the first real jump in performance with the B & K amps and B & W speakers would be an Arcam. The Arcam with B & W's along with the B & K amps will sound much better than a B & K pre-amp for example. The B & K pre-amp doesn't sound much better than the Marantz once you’re not using the Marantz amps.

An unbelievable upgrade would be to pick up an older Classe SSP-25 or SSP-30. This would be twice as good as the Arcam and 5 times better than the Marantz or B & K pre-amp.

Good Luck,
Duane
Raduray,

I have a different perspective, and it is that 7.1 has a far superior surround envelopment compared to 5.1, and for me is highly preferrable. I started with 5.1, then expanded to 7.1, and now I have no desire to ever go back to 5.1.

Since there are no 7.1 sources at the present time, AFAIK, you need DPLIIx and / or Logic 7 to drive a 7.1 speaker system. Both do a very creditable job.

Sometimes, there are room layout constraints that make 7.1 an untenable choice, primarily when your listening position is against the back wall and you don't have room to place the pair of rear surround speakers behind the listening area. Other than that, I would urge you to try 7.1.

Bruce
Bruce - you hit the nail on the head, but unfortunately Rad's not interested. Not sure if its space issues or what, but if he ever got a taste of 7.1 or 7.2 done rights, he'd never come back to 5.1. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Even though there is no media formated in 7.1, just the soundfield variations of 7.1 are remarkable. Whats even more remarkable is that so many "audiophile" discredit surround for Music and only limit it to movie. But thats another thread in itself.

Rad - what have you experienced in 7.1?