which technology really has the best picture

I've read about all of the technologies, and I've gone to look at them at Tweeter and Circuit City. However, mostly they don't have the DLPs and rear-projection LCDs next to the plasmas and flat panel LCDs, and the lighting in the stores is terrible. I feel like the plasma picture is a little bit better than the rear projections, but I wonder if the stores use picture settings to make it look that way because the flat panels are more expensive. Consumer Reports just rated a Toshiba DLP as having really excellent picture compared to flat panel (both plasma and LCD).

If the plasma picture really is better, I'll probably wait the year until 1080p is affordable. If not, time to buy a DLP or LCD rear projection. Is there any real agreement on this? I welcome any thoughts. Thanks. -Dave
dbw1
No rear projection TV can compete against a direct view TV. You will notice that rear projection TV's are slowly disappearing from stores. The only advantage they had was size. With plasmas, and now LCDs, both above the 50 inch barrier, the only advantage that rear projection TV's had is now gone.

You mentioned Toshiba's DLP. The head of Toshiba has stated that they are going to stop making all other TV technologies once their SED TV's come on stream. That's a pretty good clue as to what they think of rear projection, as well as plasma and LCD.

In addition, a lot of people feel that plasma's days as a mainstream product are limited, now that LCD's are increasing in size.

My crystal ball says that LCDs will dominate, with front projectors remaining as a niche product. CRT's, rear projectors and plasmas will slowly wither away. And if SED's are what they're hyped to be, and are priced properly, then LCD will die as well. Then we can look forward to OLEDs! The world keeps turning.
I have a rear projection 60" LCD and a 42" direct view plasma. Like them both but the plasma has a superior picture. Both are 1080i. I don't have any real interest in 1080P until the networks use it for broadcasting.
Hello,

The best is still the tube TV but after that it has to do with the environment you are putting the TV in, how good the scalar and optics are, how it is calibrated, and if the technology you choose is designed to be price sensitive or built for performance.

Let me know if you are still looking at this thread and I can go into detail of the pros and cons and why along with who makes the best in each technology.

Thanks,
Duane