Power Cords

I currently have Wireworld Silver Electra power cords with upgraded Platinum plugs. I had two 1M Wireworld Platinum power cords, but rearranged my system and required longer cords. Yesterday I borrowed two Shunyata Sigma NR power cords. On the first note my wife softly said, "that sounds better". She said it was clearer. I listened for a couple hours, changing the power cords a couple of times. In my system and to my ears this is my conclusion:
The Sigma's are cleaner, definitely has more bass, a dead silent and completely black background. The Wireworld cords are more detailed, with a wider soundstage and better spacing/separation of instruments. All things considered I'll keep my Wireworld, but I'm curious to listen to other power cords.
After inserting the Sigma's I just don't understand how anyone that listened to different power cords could conclude that they can't hear a difference. There is a difference, but like any other component the individual has to decide if the change is worth it. $6K for two power cords is relatively expensive. Expensive, but oddly maybe a good value? In my system there was a definite improvement with better bass impact and articulation. Would spending $6K or just changing amplifiers yield similar results? As with most components there are trade-offs...is there a power cord out there that has the benefits of the Sigma's and Wireworld Silver Electra's? If so, at what cost?  
ricred1

Hi BlindJim, your non-PC dating metaphores are delightfully refreshing.

BO1972: Your observations on Hurricane wires are food for thought, although I was hoping for a sober discussion of relative differences in audible properties, rather than an acrimonius disquisition of metallurgies and wire gages. Regardless, unalloyed brand-bashing is unattractive... Furthermore, the messianic leaves me cold. 

G.

I did a lot of research in many brands and products. I know of most of them the DNA. All Marantz products proof to be 2D. I can proof this on facts.

I sold many Monitor Audio loudspeakers to Maranzt owners. But after a 3D demo they all wanted to get rid of their Marantz. Each person in the world will always choose directly for 3D sound. In both stereo and surround.

This is based on how our emotion works. Soon I will place many reviews of clienst who went from 2D to 3D image. They all use their systems so much more and longer at the same time compared to the past.

That is why I will never sell any kind of 2D audio again in this life. Over 99% of all audiosystems sold over the world are 2D.

I think it is time for only 3D image. Because it will bring people to a more realistic level in sound. And they will be much more happy with their systems.
When AQ gives me access I will write the review. And I will describe in details why it is that good and so much better than the old AQ powercables.

The older ones were in our world not good enough. I am not sure if the more expensive ones are better than competitors. Because AQ use silver inside.

All my tests with the Wel were not that good. I think I will prefer other brands more who also make expensive powercables with only the use of copper.

We work by facts and we are not here to be polite. We protect all our clients. For them we work this precise and hard.

@guidocorona

@ricred1

I whole heartedly concur with a couple of your statements on being objective. The idea of someone pushing a statement as the be-all-end-all "fact" and then continuing on a rant to try to force this idea without offering any objective statements on how a characteristic sounds in comparison to something else is to be avoided in my opinion.

I have read other threads from this poster and statements such as "Monitor Audio is the best speaker period and B&W is garbage" tells me the poster has some sort of agenda. For example, I recently was looking to upgrade my speakers and both Monitor Audio Platinum II and B&W D3 were on my short list. This was until I read a review the Monitor Platinum had highs that were somewhat lacked excitement. This prompted me on to further research which indicated that ribbon tweeters tended to have more of a laid back sound, where conventional tweeters such as diamond/beryllium had a more exciting sound/impact. Now I have no doubt that Monitor Audio is a fine speaker. However, I could not find a local place to listen to them and the "laid back ribbon tweeter" sound was not my preference. I ended up going with B&W D3 and have no regrets. I love the resolution and excitement this speaker brings me.

My point is that the choices are all relative to the type of sound somebody wants to hear. The new Audioquest cables could be very good indeed, but I have yet to see a full technical description on Audioquest’s website. It’s obvious that they are tripling the cords to make larger awg. They are also documenting the wire conductor material (such as solid PSC copper or solid PSS silver). But I have yet to see their description of termination plugs (whether they are gold-plated, silver-plated, or whatever). I hesitate to believe an outside source for this if Audioquest themselves have not published these specifications.

auxinput,
I submit Monitor Audio series II speakers are neutral compared to their series I. To my "ears", in my room, with my equipment, I find the PL500s chameleon like. Several people from Audiogon have been to my house to listen to my system. I recall at least one saying, "they had bite", meaning some excitement in the tweeter. I say they reveal the recording.
No speaker can be for everyone. I think so many of us struggle choosing the right components to get the most out of what ever speakers we have. Not that my components are perfect, but I submit they have synergy. I have other priorities in life and my spending habits must change. The final touch for me will be a couple power cords.