Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel
I can’t answer your question directly as I have never compared the Marantz and Oppo against each other. However, I recently purchased an Oppo UDP-205 and could not be happier with the results. 4K picture quality is simply stunning (110" Stewart screen and Sony VPL-VW665ES projector); just about as good as it gets IMHO. Likewise, sound quality is excellent on Blue-Ray disc and computer audio via the HDMI input on the Oppo. Overall I could not be happier with the results, I am there!

Of course the $64k question is how does the Oppo compare to a full dCS Vivaldi stack? Now, that comparison I would love to hear. Interestingly I did hear a full dCS Vivaldi stack at this years Axponia show, complete with some very expensive amplification and speakers (see my previous post on the sound of this $0.5 million system). Ridiculous though this may seem, got home and still preferred the sound of my Gale/Michell/McIntosh system.
I think Oppo keeps their edge by consistently refining and updating their components versus the previous generation every 2 or 3 years. They seem to strive to use the latest DAC in each generation.
I'd love to compare the new flagship ESS DAC in the 205 versus my 105D with the older generation DAC, but I don't have a need for a 4K blu ray player, so that probably won't happen for awhile.

The other question is if you'd prefer to run balanced interconnects or not. Obviously you have a choice with the Oppo 205 but can only run single ended on the Marantz you're considering.
Generally, I find balanced sounds better in my system, over the course of even different pre-amps.

Perhaps you can get a good deal on the older, discontinued, Marantz SA-11S3 if they're available?
I believe Marantz has developed a "house sound" that is reasonably consistent across their product line.  As audiophiles, we utilize an extensive vocabulary of adjectives to describe what we hear from specific components and systems. Marantz has succeeded in producing a line of equipment where "musical" is a term aptly applied to their gear. The combination of frequency balance, smoothness of texture, openness of soundscape and dynamic realism are qualities that help define that musicality.  As the owner of an SA 8005 SACD player, I was truly gratified to see and feel the high quality of manufacture and well planned circuit layout.  Dan Wright of Modwright Instruments affirmed my perception by deciding to offer his tube modifications to the Marantz player citing the sensible circuit layout and quality of manufacture as reasons he wanted to work on elevating its already outstanding performance.  Interestingly, Modwright has also worked on Oppo units as well.

Recognizing Oppo's fine reputation in the audiophile community, I would agree with the OP's observation that the Marantz players are dedicated to audio only as opposed to the Oppo's serving both audio and video purposes. So, if the OP is looking for an audio only unit, the Marantz would likely be the best way to go.
Hifiman...BUT the salient question is, can the oppo sound as good as the two channel only marantz? That's the crux of my question. 

Also, to mgattmch, take the blu ray playback out of the equation. I'm sure it's the gold standard for blu ray, but Oppo touts it's player as something that can compete with some of the best audiophile two channel players, like the marantz. My question is, for about half the price, does it?
My b.s. detector is always turned on when I read glowing review after glowing review of a product like the Oppo. How can something that is relatively inexpensive do everything so well, to the level of a true high end disc player, like the Marantz? I think people can become influenced by the never ending hype around it, and not think as critically as they normally would.

The marantz is designed to do one thing well, not walk the dog and do the laundry too. And, they've been making great disc players for decades.

It looks like your are posting a question and then answering your own posts :-)