TriPlanar tonearm outward skating issue

Hi all,

I have been trying to research a solution to a recent issue with my TriPlanar VII UII tonearm that I bought  a couple years back.

The tonearm seems to want to skate outwards, even with zero anti skate applied and the weight removed from the little anti skate arm. It is evident at various settings of VTF, VTA, etc. The platter is very level and everything seems to be aligned OK. This outward skating force is very light in the outer grooves and becomes stronger as the cartridge gets closer to the end of a side. In fact, as it traces the lead-out grooves at the end of a side, the tonearm sometimes thrusts outwards across those grooves back into the last track. Very scary!

A visual check of the cantilever azimuth seems to confirm an outward pressure from the tonearm since the cantilever is leaning with the stylus end closer to the spindle.

I can’t seem to find any information online about this phenomenon.

Any insights and recommendations would appreciated.
shayes002
^^ I think there was some confusion somewhere; as soon as I mentioned this issue to Tri, he knew the problem and the fix. IOW I am very certain that Tri didn't say that he couldn't fix it.
rauliruegas1
What is something " weird " is the very high tolerance levels that some times we audiophiles have with manufacturers or retailers when they just can’t fix a problem like the @wrm57 with his tonearm ...  where is that tonearm manufacturer that did not fix aproblem in its manugactured tonearm? , I think that when we take te responsability to fix a manufacturer problem we are taking out the main responsability of any manufacturer/designer ...   if Triplanar comes here and says that that issue is part of the toneaerm design at least the owners needs to know it but no explanation and not fixed trouble. !!!
That's absurd. The manufacturer has no obligation to come here and tell us about this pickup arm. We don't know if the OP even bothered to contact Triplanar. We don't know whether it has a manufacturing defect or not. Perhaps the OP purchased this used; perhaps it's been misused or abused in some way, or damaged in shipment, or improperly installed. The problem as described here should in no way reflect negatively on Triplanar - we have no reason to believe the manufacturer is at fault in any way.

Dear @cleeds : Maybe you are rigth ( for me is not absurd. ) but other than the OP wrm57 had the same problem and after he contacted the manufacturer the advise he gave him was not works and was wrm57 whom did it and posted here what he did it.

In my first post I told the OP to put in touch with the manufacturer, is up to him do it or not instead to following asking about.

It could be interesting that the Triplanar owners can make a simple test: with the AS mechanism at rest put in horizontal equilibrium ( zero VTF. ) the tonearm and see what happen and if no other tonearm shows what the OP and wrm57 posted then there is no problem in the design. In that test the tonearm must be totally inert at any point/position we moved in the horizontal plane.

Well, we can make this test with any tonearm we own and see what happens.

In the other side for me is not absurd that a manufacturer could comes here to help a customer. Never mind, I explain my point.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
I agree with cleeds. I’m not sure where Raul and others are getting this inflammatory business about Tri being unwilling or unable to fix this or any other issue with his tonearm. I certainly never asked Tri to adjust my anti-skate, nor claimed he said he could not. I merely asked my dealer to have Tri send me a lighter weight, which he graciously did free of charge. In fact, I have no doubt that Tri would be more than willing and able to bring my arm back to spec if I thought it worth the trouble of sending it to him, which, as I stated, I do not because it sounds great with the lighter weight I've fashioned!

Dear @wrm57 : It was not you who posted:

""" Tri sent me a lighter counterweight but it’s still too heavy. So I fabricated a lighter one still, comprised of two layers of blutak between three small titanium washers. Slides on, stays put, and allows for adequate fine-tuning of bias. """

that post tell us that was you not Triplanar whom fixed the problem because the advise Triplanar gave you not works. Was you too who posted:

""" Yes, the wiring was my first thought, too. I’ve played around with the cable to no effect. """

But lewm had the same probelm that he fixed too in a simple way.

@cleeds , for whatever reasons we have just here 3 tonearms with same trouble. I don’t care about Triplanar tonearm per sé because I’m not an owner of it, I just read 3 problems here with a 4K+ tonearm design.

Question: what’s wrong down there?. Is it a problem developed by the customers or something about the design of that tonearm?

If what Triplanar said to atmasphere is the problem seems to me like a design problem that could be fix it to not repeat again in future Triplanar arms.

R.