Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ghosthouse, these doctors seem to work like painters who color by the numbers; as long as you have something that is the right color, and it fits the number in their coloring book, you're OK; but if you have something different and they are required to investigate, you're up a creek, microscopes are unknown.

I seem to get more answers from "Google" than the doctors, and I don't have to travel, or spend money.

In regard to pain and pain killers, I see why so many people are ODing; since the doctor can't find the root cause of the pain, it's a matter of taking pills till the pain goes away. That puts this drug OD problem in a slightly different light, plus there are "pain management" clinics that only push pills.

There is time spent going to the doctors office, waiting in pain at the doctors office, and not making any progress; all of this puts drug OD in a different light.

I appreciate your concern; never contract anything that's outside of the scheme of the doctors coloring book.  

I'm in the process of reviewing a CD I recently purchased by Ahmad Jamal titled "Marseille".

Right off the bat I don't get the three different versions of "Marseille", but since we're talking about one of the "great one's" I suppose it's OK. Back with conclusion after review.

Finding good "new music" is harder than finding gold, but since I've given myself this burden, I shall carry on.

I kind of left off in mid sentence on my last review; that's because I wasn't inspired to finish it; the CD, "Marseille" was good enough, but not inspirational.

Jackiem Joyner is a name that I have never heard before, but I liked his tune when I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Ty1xV3vFE

Here's another tune that's got life;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HR2wExh2AQ

I'm listening with open ears and mind by not comparing him with "old school".

http://jackiemjoyner.com/

While this is "smooth jazz", it's music of today, and maybe that's what they have to offer.
Hi O - glad to see you posting.

Just wanted to comment about your statement:

"Finding good "new music" is harder than finding gold, but since I've given myself this burden, I shall carry on."

I agree 100%, even if we do have pretty different tastes (though sometimes what we like DOES overlap).  Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about my personal search for music that will have me coming back due to composition, performance AND recording quality!.  It's like the 800 pound gorilla in the room (or maybe the gorilla that's NOT in the room but should be).  Point being there's a lot of discussing and obsessing about the best hardware for audio when the critical variable that can make a mega $ system sound like trash or a mid-fi system sound great is the recording itself!  No revelations there I know but just doesn't seem to get enough attention.  This thread has been great.  Wish there were others like it...one for each music "genre".