Is there a big difference in digital streaming devices?

I am streaming digital using Deezer running it through an inexpensive Definitive Technologies wifi streamer($300 bucks). I have an Audion Silver Night Special Edition 300b integrated amp and Zu Soul Superfly speakers. I’m wondering if I’m missing any detail by not upgrading to a “better” more expensive DAC. I’ve read reviews on some like Lampizator, Border Patrol etc. I like the fact that I can play music from my phone via WiFi to the Definitive streamer so if I went with let’s say with a Border Patrol DAC and still used the Definitive for WiFi streaming to feed the Border Patrol DAC, would the Definitive become a week link or would I hear more detail by using the DAC in the Border Patrol. 
128x128rickraymond59

At $300, your streamer will not compete with other low jitter solutions.

An Ethernet or "network" DAC with a good master clock in it will easily outperform it.  WIFI can be added to any Ethernet DAC BTW.  You don't need a "streamer", just a LAN with WIFI or wired router and a computer.

It will of course cost more than $300.  My own Overdrive SX with Ethernet input can be used with Jriver or Audirvana on any computer and it will not affect sound quality.  Not sure if you can communicate to Jriver with an iPhone.

The Ethernet DAC IMO is the best way to achieve the lowest jitter possible and isolates the playback from any DSP software on the computer, such as the audio stack etc. It contains the only Master Clock and usually just before the D/A logic.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I think this is a good query for computeraudiophile.com - they are all over this stuff

I know I've heard good things about the urendu but I don't stream off the internet

and... there are issues other than jitter involved
So I guess I’m looking to find out 2 things:

How does most people obtain good quality digital music to listen to?

What gear are you using to process this music so its ready for your power amp?

I have a pretty good analog setup and find the digital method has a lot more variety to choose from, and am looking to enhance it so it comes close to having that “less fatigue” factor that analog offers.

Rick
OP,

The Border Patrol DAC you’re considering will definately up the ante in SQ from your streamer. An external DAC would be a logical step towards achieving better SQ from digital bits and a open path for future upgrades should you choose to upgrade your streamer or DAC. But before spend your dime on any DAC, I suggest look into auditioning Bluesound Node 2.  I have recently acquired Vault 2 and I was very surprised by the internal DAC SQ and the ease of use.  I have my Vault 2 feeding directly into my ARC LS28 and it sounds pretty awesome. 

Of course the best way to know what you like is to try the Border Patrol DAC and Node 2 in your setup and let your ears guide you. 

I've been using a Bluesound Node 2. It has an excellent internal DAC and streams very good SQ. I recently added an Ayre Codex dac, and got a dramatic improvement in sound especially when using the Codex balanced outputs.