Capitol Audio Fest

Did anyone else attend Cap Audiofest this year? I've seen no threads about it, I was only able to attend Friday afternoon but heard some good systems. Favorites for me,  Shindo/Auditorium 23, Zu Audio, Tidal, Classic Audio/Atmasphere, and Deja Vu Audio. I thought the Zu system with Omens and First Watt Sit monos was the best value priced system. Best system overall the stunning Deja Vu vintage system with their field coil speakers just astonishing sound.  I wish I had gotten more time to spend looked like there were lots more rooms this year.
128x128jond
Yes I liked the sound in Channel D room with the Vandersteen 5s very much as well.
Sal and Larry great to hear from you guys you both have more experienced ears than mine. And I  think my ears perhaps prefer a warmer slightly rolled off sound as I loved the A23 speakers but found the Channel D room a tad bright. And thanks for the info on that table Sal I really liked that room a lot and wish I had stayed longer. I missed the Charney and Rethm speakers unfortunately. And as much as I would love a pair of Vu's WE horn speakers the A23 seemed something along those lines soundwise that I could potentially one day afford. I also loved how they looked but sent my gf a pic she was less enamored. Ah well.
Hi Larry,
Very nice show report.  I too was curious about Tekton Double Impacts given the considerable hype.  I'm glad you were able to hear them (-and mapman as well). We agree, definitely good sounding speakers and they're easily driven by lower powered amplifiers.  Jond I wish you could have beard them as I always appreciate your impressions. 
Charles 
jond,

The Channel D room was a touch bright, but, I took into account the nature of that kind of reverberant space.  I think you would have really  liked the Charney and Rethm speakers.  Neither were bright and they were also, like the Auditorium, not cursed with a prominent peak in the upper midrange.  Did you get to hear the Volti speakers?  This is, for a horn-type system, a reasonably compact system that delivered good sound.

I also should have mentioned the Burwell and Sons horn system.  I thought they sounded quite good too.  They were warm sounding and delivered the saturated harmonics that I like from old school systems (tube electronics, pleated paper surround woofers, compression drivers, etc.).  They were also surprisingly compact and nice looking; I thought they were monsters from the pictures I have seen.  But, at its price point, Deja Vu can build a custom system that is precisely what you want (and hopefully can afford).

I should also give favorable mention to the DC area DIY group and their room.  This time, they only displayed one setup instead of rotating several systems so they were not as ambitious as in prior years.  But, the system was quite nice sounding.  It was essentially a cube without a top and a back (open baffle design).  An 18" woofer fired downward and the front baffle held a coaxial midrange/tweeter.  The box was made rigid by using round dowels across the open top and open back (great idea for reducing interference with the back wave of both the woofer and coaxial drivers).  The speaker looked to be quite easy to build and the parts were quite inexpensive.  This makes it a classic DIY product--clever design substituting for expensive parts and construction.