Capitol Audio Fest

Did anyone else attend Cap Audiofest this year? I've seen no threads about it, I was only able to attend Friday afternoon but heard some good systems. Favorites for me,  Shindo/Auditorium 23, Zu Audio, Tidal, Classic Audio/Atmasphere, and Deja Vu Audio. I thought the Zu system with Omens and First Watt Sit monos was the best value priced system. Best system overall the stunning Deja Vu vintage system with their field coil speakers just astonishing sound.  I wish I had gotten more time to spend looked like there were lots more rooms this year.
128x128jond
Hi Gary,
Okay I understand.  You certainly have a spacious room and very attractive I might add 😊.
Charles 

When I heard the Burwells, they were being played at low volume and sounded not at all piercing.  But, it might well be the case that they would behave poorly at higher volume levels.  That actually is an issue with horn systems, particularly when they are not really large in size.  As volume goes up, horns tend to become "shouty."  I did not get a second crack at hearing them so I may have missed the bad behavior. 

I heard the GIANT Von Schweikert speaker/VAC room a couple of times.  One audition was horrible sounding--very bright and brittle sounding, but, on another occasion, it was pretty decent (though hardly my choice for a system well north of half a million dollars).  The better sounding demonstration was at a much lower volume than the one I could not stand, so it might simply be a matter of inappropriate volume.  I get the feeling that the people running demonstrations think that volume levels have to be extremely high to impress the public; I am more impressed with systems that deliver great sound at low volume.

As for the Classic Audio/Atmasphere room, it was bright sounding and also brittle sounding for my taste.  In other years, it has sounded better, but, the brightness has always been a part of the sound. 

Another room that I liked that I forgot to mention was the Conrad Johnson room with the "cheaper" model of Tidal speakers. 

Interesting I was really disappointed in the c-j room and surprised considering the level of gear in there but I just found it dull and lifeless sounding. And on the Zu room yes the room was gigantic but I thought they really did a nice job filling the room soundwise. One thing I will mention when I was there they were playing the much smaller Omens not the Def IV. So not sure what speakers others heard specifically. Sean is a super nice guy I will say and plays great music. And @salectric those Auditorium23 speakers were the only thing at the show I took a picture of I totally agree they look great.
Larry, so I’m not the only one who has found the Classic Audio speaker rooms to sound bright in chracter (and a bit thin as well). This is based on several encounters. I feel like the odd one as they get pretty much high praise from most listeners.
Charles

Charles1dad,

Yes, I think the Classic Audio speakers are bright and mid-bass is thinner than my ideal.  OTL amps, like the Atmasphere amps, and field coil speakers, have as their primary area of superiority, incredibly lively sound--very fast and dynamic and immediate sound.  But, pushed too far, this sound can be edgy and brittle; it is a matter of taste.  By contrast, the stacked Quads in the Emia room and the field coil system in the Deja Vu room were also quite dynamic and immediate sounding (though not as extremely so), but the initial attack of musical instruments sounded more natural to me on those systems so that the sound was smoother and more natural while not being muddy and slow sounding.  It is a matter of tradeoffs and priorities. 

The Zu speakers also have a very dynamic and immediate sound.  As most shows, they are matched to high powered amps to emphasize this strength by being played at high volume levels (it is startling to hear, but also tiring).  They really can be made to sound much more refined and relaxed, but, I suppose, at shows, the idea is to grab attention.