Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@orpheus10 

I'd be surprised if you did not already own this, O.  Amazing to me what music was being created in 1961.  Even then, I wonder how much else was like it.  Given the hostile reviews, I'm guessing not much.  "Chasing the Trane" IS a bit of a stretch (for me, anyway).
Another guitarist infamous amongst his peers is the late Danny Gatton. He played Jazz, Hillbilly, Blues, Rockabilly, you name it. Vince Gill nicknamed him "The Humbler". An astounding talent who decided to leave this world ahead of schedule. His good friend and sometimes bandmate Evan Johns told me it was because of his nagging wife, who would not stop badgering him about his lack of professional ambition. Danny wanted to stay close to home---the Virginia/Washington DC area---play local gigs, and work on his vintage Hot Rods, his other passion. There is a 2-CD compilation album of his Warner Brothers releases, plus a bunch of Indi stuff also on CD.

I've spent a lot of time searching for "new new music". What I've found has not been "Da Bomb", or whatever expression you use for such. The music has been good, but not "that good".

Ghosthouse comes up with "Da Bomb", and it's music that should already be in my collection. We didn't have PC's back then, consequently there was no way to know everything that came out. Just like that "Trane" got past me (probably put buying it off till another day, and that day never came) a lot of other killer works got past me I'm sure; my point of this dialogue is that no longer will I spend so much time and money on "new new music", when there is so much boss music from the past that has slipped past me.

Shadorne mentioned "Mambo Sinuendo" by Ry Cooder; here it is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nidoCkcTw1k&list=PLB--yRp2J0bEeqUMOxpetrdWPtp3WldGP
"Ghosthouse comes up with "Da Bomb".  You are very welcome, Orpheus and while duly gratifying, it's undeserved credit.  You know what they say, "even a blind squirrel....".  Was my neighbor who sent me the link.  

If you are inclined to purchase, then this version might be the one to get.  Worth noting they catalog it under Elvin Jones name!

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-1961-Village-Vanguard-Recordings/dp/B000003NA3/ref=pd_cp_15_3?_encod...

w/respect to Ry Cooder.  Not of a jazz idiom but never the less well known the Stones and Keith Richards in particular owe MUCH to Ry Cooder; arguably writing and recording the best music of their career(s) using things he taught and shared and for which he was, at the time, barely acknowledged or credited let alone compensated (or so I've read).  Good New Yorker article here...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/ry-cooders-elegant-indignation