Not much discussion around MBL

Must not be alot of ownership by frequent posters.  They are pricey - I have  heard several models many times and have always been impressed - would love to own a pair.  Not sure I could commit.
pops
You can take this as you wish.  In our opinion Omni's are too flawed by design to work well in most rooms.

An Omni by its very nature is directing sound 360 around the loudspeakers this does create a very realistic recreation of space, however, with that being said, unless you have the right room and right positioning what you get in many times sounds like a distortion of reality.

I would also add many large diapole speakers speakers into this mix as well.

The issue is image size and being able to create a believable yet palpable image. Most of the Omni's create an image which spreads out the performers into a mix which is larger then life.

The question is not is the sound spacious but does it mirror reality, if you enjoy listening to a recording where the lead singer sounds like he or she is eight feet tall and eight feet wide then you have a fantastic speaker.

Omni's can sound fantastic for classical where you are trying to recreate the sound of a huge orchestra but other than that you have a great tendency to create an image which is just too large or too spread out to sound like what you get from a close miked live recording or what an engineer can create when mixing for a stereo image.

When you also factor in  that for an Omni to work well you have to carefully make sure rear and side reflections don't screw up the image to begin with and you can see that Omini's can be very difficult beasts to make work in real world environments.

In terms of speed, clarity,  dynamic range and bass, the MBL are fantastic, it just depends on if you can listen around what they do or enjoy the super stereo effect.

Give me a high quality direct radiator anytime.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Post removed 
Any Agon'ers in the NYC area with MBL speakers that would mind offering an audition to a fellow Agon'er?
I am dying to hear them.
Bob
@pops, c'mon Jerry, you can't figure this one out?

The reason you don't hear MBL owners posting on audio forum threads is because they are More Busy Listening. ;^)

Seriously though, pricey, rather limits the amount of owners available to comment.
Also, you won't find many folks who can afford big ticket items perusing through threads on used audio gear websites.

Cheers,
John

@pops I would love to own a pair of MBL speakers as well. I have my eye on the MBL starter system - $33.4k. It includes the MBL 126 Speakers/stands, C31 CD/DAC, and C51 integrated amp. I heard this system about a year and a half ago at a dealer event and thought it was very very good. I plan to go audition it again in the new year. -I also heard the Noble line mono blocks with the 101 E MKII speakers on the same day and the MBL 126  sounded pretty similar, just with the  101 E MKII providing more of the same. MBL seem to have their house sound figured out across lines.

FYI - I've heard a number of their speakers including the 116, 111, 101 E MKII, and the 101 x-treme. To me, they are all fantastic. I've also heard all three lines of electronics and I like all-MBL systems very much. YMMV but I'd highly recommend you find an audition. -I've heard MBL many times and I always walk away very much enjoying the quality of the sound and they are on my short list when I build a new system. Also, they are usually, for me, in the top 1-4 at audio shows and have been number 1 for me a few times. Just a fabulous sound.