Alternative mat for SME turntable

Hello, I have an SME 10 turntable, I was wondering if anyone out there has ever experimented with other mats instead of the delicate one that is placed on the platter of the SME tables. I tried an origin live mat and don’t think it worked very well, made the sound less clear. I know there was another thread several years ago regarding this same issue but no one ever answered the question.
nlakoumentas
Nlakoumentas, I hear what you are saying about the delicate nature of the SME mat.  I somehow scuffed mine and have no recollection how it happened.  
I received a mesh-like mat with a previous Clearaudio TT I owned and still have it.  I might try it as a means of protecting the SME.  It's very thin so I might not even have to raise the tonearm to accommodate the extra thickness.  As for the sound quality of the SME TT, I have not wanted to change the mat, but protecting it has become a concern.  Good luck in your quest.
Thanks snackeyp the sound with the sme mat isn’t very good, so far anything else seems to dull the sound, I do have an Oyaide BR-one mat, very thin, will give that a go. My platter has a mark on the side from the previous owner, sending it to SME to have it refinished is quite expensive hence the reason I ask. The other alternative is to buy a second new platter as a backup as I this table is a keeper as far as I am concerned. But it would be nice to be able to protect the delicate surface.
Funny you should ask about this. There’s a TT mat shootout on part-time audiophile that might be of interest. I think it’s generally hard to predict what any mat will sound like for various TTs.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/02/15/five-turntable-mats-an-audiophile-shootout/
CLARIFICATION to snackeyp, what I meant to say was that the sound with the Origin Live mat on the SME is not very good, tried it again over the weekend and the same.  The sound with the stock SME mat is just way better, much clearer with reverb around the instruments which the Origin Live dulls.  

Yes, barrysandy, I know the mat shootout, funny side bar the Linn LP12 Rafe Arnott he uses to test these mats is the same Sondek I now own.  I bought it from him over a year ago.  I am also looking for a mat to replace that horrid felt mat Linn offers but that is for another thread.