SoCal FM radio casualty

Any of you SoCal members listen to the last hours of our 1 of 2 R&R stations sign off yesterday?

I tuned in the new station to hear what's going on...OUCH!
As primarily a listener ofNPR news,Classical and Jazz, I still like to get the LED out, now and then.
There must be a growing demographic for awful, pop with "a message?"  

Guess I'm feeling nostalgic...sure do miss 70's Rock radio.

tablejockey
oregonpapa-the station was located on top of  Signal Hill, a small incorporated area in the middle of Long  Beach. I ride my bike up that hill regularly. The area is now over priced homes, and a plaque reminding  people what used to be there. 

Down the hill, was a club called the Foothill where many big Country  names performed during the 40/50's. By the 70's it was a dump, changed a few hands, and now the area is unrecognizable with more over priced real estate.

Time marches on.....still rockin the ART9
tablejockey ..

If you're from that era did you ever make it up to Hermosa Beach and frequent the Lighthouse? I spent many a night there listening to the Lighthouse Allstars. Great jazz. 

Check it out ...

http://www.thelighthousecafe.net/history.html

tablejockey---The Foothill Club WAS a dive, but some great Blues and Rockabilly artists played there in the 1990's. I got a gig with Specialty Records artists Don & Dewey when they played there in the late 90's. They had a couple of hits in the late 50's, "Justine" being a Little Richard-style screamer.

There was a great radio station at the community college in Northridge, playing a lot of roots music (Traditional Country, Hillbilly, Bluegrass, Blues, etc.). Some people felt that "type" of music was beneath an institution of higher learning, and the station's format was changed to all Classical. Well la de freakin' da!  

oregonpapa-I did not have the good fortune of catching a gig at the Lighthouse during the Jazz heyday.
I do however, have a Contemporary label press of "Sunday Jazz  A La Lighthouse"
It was recorded sometime late 50's,early 60's. Great music.

I was still a very young child in the 60's, but thankfully was exposed to everything from my parents and older brothers via a Grundig console and a Sony R/R!

bdp24-Yeah, by 80's the Foothill was just a shell of what it was. I think I saw Screaming Jay Hawkins and the Blasters there.

I enjoy reading about your past  R&R exploits. Did you ever play at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach?