Cartridges: Complete Scam?

I’m very new to analog, and researching my options on forums I keep coming across the same sentiment: that past the ultra low-end cartridges, there is very little gains in actual sound quality and that all you’re getting are different styles and colorations to the sound.

So, for example, if I swapped out my $200 cartridge that came with my table for a Soundsmith, Dynavector, Oracle, etc, I may notice a small improvement in detail and dynamics, but I’m mostly just going to get a different flavor. Multiple people told me they perffered thier old vintage cartridges over modern laser-cut boron-necked diamonds.

It’s possible that these people are just desperately defending thier old junk and/or have never heard high end audio. But if what they’re saying is true, than the cartridge industry is a giant SCAM. If I blow 2.5k minimum on an Air Tight I better get a significant improvement over a $200 bundler — and if just all amounts to a different coloration, than that is a straight-up scam ripoff.

So guys — are these forums just BS-ing me here? Is it really a giant scam?
madavid0
Hey guys,

I´m not exactly new to analog, but I´m certainly a new kid on the block here at Audiogon. I would like to thank you all for your posts, this forum has been a valuable source of information (and entertainment) to me for the past couple years. On to the OP question: it is not a scam, but analog takes a lot of effort. We´re hardly talking plug and play stuff here and there´s a lot more into replacing a cart than there´s into replacing a DAC (or a cd-player for that matter). 

You may buy a cart that´s 10 times more expensive and get bad results if your tone-arm is not up to the task of handling the new cart. Things can also go very bad if your phono is not a good match to it. I have a love and hate relationship with analog, but that´s all part of the fun. Of course it is not a scam, much in the same way that power cords are not a scam. I don´t mean to be rude here, but I usually find that those kind of comments mostly come from people who are not willing to (or simply cannot) afford this kind of stuff. 

If everything else is working properly (tonearm and phono) with the new cart, the differences are instantly recognizable and not minimal. They´re quite addictive actually, but careful system matching is crucial and there are so many components in an analog rig that you can easily screw things up by replacing the cart (even for a much more expensive unit). 
Well this is a remarkable thread. I rarely agree with Raul :-) but this time he's hit it on the head. The OP doesn't seem to understand that we call it a "stereo SYSTEM" for a reason, and the most important component is himself - his ears, brain, and capacity to process information and learn as he goes (i.e. the linkage between the first two). If you want to gain real understanding, and maybe 'hearing' too, you have to work for it! and it's fun!  

And then there's a discussion about classical theories of commodity value. My only comment there is that "use" and "exchange" value were never seen as separate entities in themselves, but elements of a greater whole. So the relationship between them is always tricky, both for economists (some) and for the original poster. Certainly it's good to have a lot of skepticism in the pursuit of good audio, but patience counts too (oh yeah, and money). 
"Which is better, a Pass or an Onkyo?"

The Pass is better. Not, it's better if its paired with Pass pre-amp. Not, depends on your definition of use-value.

That MoFi system at Capital Audiofest sounded really good. That was a $2k table + cartridge combo using their $250 phono stage....running into TAD electronics and Evolution Ones...gear that probably costs well north of $100k. I guess stereo "system" "balance" only works in one direction! So, what are we looking at here...could it be that MoFi unintentionally exposed the SCAM behind the cartridge industry by pairing a $2k turntable and cartridge + $250 phono with high-end components which ended up producing a high-end sound -- among the best of the show? Does that mean you're a SUCKER if you pay more than $500 (the non-bundled cost of the MoFi Ultra Tracker) on a cartridge?

Or does it mean that this 23 lbs turntable and tonearm are the greatest value in vinyl history, and that it could have achieved stunning audio with an upgraded cart and phono stage?

So, once again. I have this MDF 19 lbs turntable. It's an AC motor belt-drive that uses a Derlin platter and pulley. It's got a 35g aluminum tonearm. It's running into a $500 ($300 special from Music Direct) battery-powered phono stage.  The large consensus on this forum is that installing a $2-3k cartridge will yield no or negative benefit.

So let's assume I'm not going "balance" my system by installing $200k worth of speakers, amps, cables and pres. How much do I have to spend on an arm, table and phono stage to mine the true benefit out of a well-regarded $2-3k cartridge? Since I have no idea if the MoFi arm can be replaced, should I just return the unit right now -- that no matter what I do, a $1k turntable won't benefit from a $2k cartridge?
I will give you an example and maybe this will become more clear to you.

I had a Basis 2000 turntable with a Basis branded Rega tonearm and a Shelter 901 cartridge.

I changed from the Rega (inexpensive) tonearm to a Basis Vector (expensive) tonearm and the difference was significant and noticeable particularly the imaging.

Clearly the Rega tonearm was not allowing the Shelter cartridge to perform at its best.

So an expensive cartridge may sound better than an inexpensive cartridge, even on a substandard turntable/tonearm combination, but it will not be able to perform at its best.

FWIW I think using the words SUCKER and SCAM when you write leads to nothing positive when you are asking others to help you with information or explain something to you.