Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman, new people are posting who may or may not have heard this tune. While almost every tune I post will be a repeat for you; when the tune is that good, it's better to err on the repeat for those who haven't heard it.

I am a Chico Freeman fan since the "Kings of Mali" that came out in 77, long before the tune I posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buFUP2LvK2s

I buy records for the overall music, and not the sound of a specific instrument.

Another example of an artist whose tone you criticized was "Billy Bang"; while his tone most certainly is not on par with a classical violinist, I like his music much better. Me and Billy Bang are philosophical brothers; he's a vet who had hard times in "Nam".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R22OfE5R0_0

"Yo, Ho Chi Minh is in the House"

Git down Charley Brown!

O-10, I think it’s great that some things get multiple postings; especially since there are new participants here. Please don’t misinterpret my pointing out that something was posted previously as meaning that I don’t think it should be posted again; it’s a simple statement of fact and potentially interesting in a way.

Like you, I don’t buy music nor judge recordings for the sound of one particular instrument; that’s the very reason that I own that Chico Freeman record. In fact, I actually like his tone quite a bit.  I just don’t particularly like him as player, nor most of his recordings. I do like Destiny’s Dance, as I said; some really good stuff on it.

I think you misunderstood what I previously opined re Billy Bang. It wasn’t his tone in particular that was the main issue for me and comparison to a Classical player is not really relevant since there are jazz violinists with tone that, while not “Classical” by any means, is excellent and I like very much. I just don’t find much to enjoy in his music and find his playing to be, overall, kind of crude. That’s just for me and I’m really glad that you find much to like in his playing.

Stephane Grappelli is one of the giants of jazz with an extremely beautiful tone; he has so much beautiful music that I would break my bank just buying half of it; but here is some of it that I like, this is the most romantic and dramatic.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1024&bih=662&ei=sjQfWo7CDsPzarTIpZAF&btnG=Search&q...

Back to the jazz violin; Ray Nance who is known for trumpet, can really jam on a violin;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxSYBKugpE

pryso, I heard back from Lincoln Mayorga and I told him about our discussion about DD lps and your concern about the master’s durability. He explained things this way:

There is no concern about the master’s durability other than in the way that it is handled. IOW, as long as it is handled properly, the stamper does not degrade in quality. Of course, the longer that it is handled the greater the chances that some damage can occur. From the master, anywhere from 5-15 “mothers” are made which is what are used to actually stamp the vinyl lps. It is true that generally the “mothers” are made as soon as possible in order to minimize the chances of damage to the master. The actual number of mothers is determined by various factors not the least of which is the expertise of those involved.

Lincoln is a very nice man and was intrigued and actually surprised that there was still interest in DD lps by modern day audiophiles. He had never heard of AudiogoN 😕