Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I’m freaking 60, very soon to turn 61, and since becoming a member on this lunatic site around 4 years ago I’ve burned through quite a few dollars on everything in the most futile of pursuits - perfection.  

Obviously my chronological advance has not yet graced me with wisdom. I doubt it ever will, perhaps when I cease advancing I may find it. 

Anyway - as close to a reasonable facsimile of perfection as one may get in this hobby is Thiel. 
Speakers HAVE to cost more than these to be better - and from my limited “high end” auditions over the last few years the only other manufacturer that comes even close is Magnepan.  I’m a fan of both.  I simply can’t find sonic or financial reasons sufficient to consider blowing a few thousand bucks on other brands that might do one or even a couple of things “better”,  especially when none in my $$ wheelhouse do everything as well as Thiel does. 

IMHO Pass Labs  and Thiel represent amazing sonics. I’m still trying to get my 3.6’s to shine as my 3.5’s did.  I don’t think I’ll be getting there soon.  I may be selling my 3.6’s to find another pair of 3.5’s.  Something about those suckers that connects with me where the 3.6’s do not. 

To each his own. 

As long as it’s Thiel!

Sorry unsound - for some reason I thought you had the 3.6s, not the 3.5s..

oblgny - just curious what you like better about the 3.5s then the 3.6s?  

As for me, I'm 46.  I started early when I mowed lawns to get a pair of Adcom separates and Canton speakers.  Been hooked ever since..

dhoff01...

Ya' know,  describing the difference between the 3.5 and 3.6 models is something that I thought would be less than it really is,  but the fact of the matter is that these are VERY different speakers.  And far more different than moving "up" as I did from 2.0,  2.2,  and 2.3 to the 3.5's.  In those earlier examples the differences merely improved on everything that endeared Thiel to me from the get-go,  accuracy,  colorlessness,  and most specifically,  bass reproduction that felt like,  sounded like bass without exaggeration.  

I keep saying that I'm not a "bass" fiend,  finding most speakers reproduction of it artificial and cartoonish - for lack of a better term.  I'm also a pretty big fan of Magnepan,  so my ears do favor midrange and highs to begin with.

I used a Pass Labs X150.5/BAT tubed pre setup for  my 3.5's,  and I am currently - no pun intended - using a BAT integrated.  Either setup provided 150 watts into 8 ohms,  300 into 4 ohm loads which either Thiel is rated.  To my ears the 3.6's just don't pressurize the room the way the 3.5's did.  I'm also finding that the highs on the 3.6's seem diminished - odd considering that some people describe Thiels as "too bright."

I think that the 3.6's do require a more significant amount of power to truly shine.  At levels louder than I normally listen at they do begin to strut their proverbial stuff.  But,  alas,  my listening evil is very conservative and I believe the 3.5's just presented everything better at lower volumes than the 3.6's are wont to - again,  my humble opinion.

Thiel improves ANY setup one may have.  I've tossed a bevy of amps at them,  Pass Labs,  Threshold,  Primare,  Audio Research,  Conrad Johnson,  McIntosh...this site has drained my bank account a few times in the last 4 years.

I just put my 3.6's up for sale here on the site.  Right now I'm downsizing,  returning to tubes, looking at more efficient Thiels - if that's possible.

oblgny,

I hope some day you get a chance to try the 3.7s in your system.  Apparently Jim was deliberately going for a higher efficiency than previous Thiels (Stereophile measure it just under 91.dB).  The impedance was low, but as I've said many times on this thread, the Thiels have been amazingly happy being driven by my CJ amps, and even my Eico 14W side. 

And the 2.7s despite being 87 dB efficient are dynamic and punchy as hell on the CJ amps.

My listening levels are conservative as well.   But I have to say my listening levels have crept up these days because the Thiels are so smooth and fun to listen to, and can sound so "live."
prof...

I believe that I was running my first pair of 3.5's with a Cayin integrated that put out somewhere around 30 watts in triode believe it or not.  As you've found yourself,  running a little hotter volume wise really lets this brand sing but,  and a big but,  I tend to listen at levels that most people would describe as "low",  even though I turn it up until it sounds "right."

Slipping in a pair of Goertz alpha core veracity cables did manage to effect a somewhat better definition at my level,  but to my ears the 3.6's just aren't providing something that the 3.5's did,  and that appears to be a lessening of the highs?  Just my ears saying that - if ears could talk.

Since I sold off my second Pass Labs X150.5 it might be unfair to compare the two  in hindsight,  especially since I found Pass/Thiel to be the best setup I've had.  (I should hasten to add that I've three pairs of 3.5's...)  The Pass was mated to a BAT VK3i preamp which was also excellent,  but I do think that Pass mates equally well,  if not better,  with an Audio Research pre.  

But then again,  I've decided that separates drove me to distraction,  that I was more concerned with the equipment than I was with the music.  The BAT integrated I now own,  a VK300xse,  has more than enough juice I need for these and any other speakers I may wind up getting - hopefully yet another pair of Thiel.