Annoying sounds from cars at stop light

What causes the stereo in the car next to you at the stop light so loud and annoying with over the top bass and how can the driver stand it?

128x128soundsrealaudio
Q:  What's the difference between a symphony orchestra and a water buffalo?

A:  The buffalo has the horns in the front and the a**hole in the back.
Well, I have a small sub in my car that sound great inside, but can't even be heard outside. How about the fact that the owners of those big, loud kickers also have their windows down. This must make it sound better. Also, have you ever noticed that a car behind you sounds louder and gets quieter as it passes you, even if it's stopped. Something about the sound propagation. And if it takes 28 feet for the sound to "develop", why can I here that 22Hz note in my 19x15 livingroom so well? Can barely hear it outside the house.

What causes the stereo in the car next to you at the stop light so loud and annoying with over the top bass and how can the driver stand it?

If it's Friday or Saturday night, follow him, and maybe he will lead you to a tailgate party. One objective of these vehicle setups (my experience comes from my now 23 year old son) is to turn the "whole" vehicle into a speaker system, with the listeners standing together.......outside the vehicle.........  listening and doing ....... (fill in the blank)  

aboogaard said:
"And if it takes 28 feet for the sound to "develop", why can I here that 22Hz note in my 19x15 livingroom so well?" 

Actually I said "fully develop". Very satisfying results can be had with 1/2 or 1/4 wave. For example 12ft. for a 40Hz note will sound fine, I doubt one could really tell the difference, however if one reduces it to a 1/4 wave 7ft., it might not be as authentic sounding. Your 22Hz tone (if authentic), in your room, would be somewhere between 1/4 & 1/2 wave. You would need plenty of power to get 22Hz for full wave.
There is not much musical content below 26Hz unless artificially generated.

http://www.guitarbuilding.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Instrument-Sound-EQ-Chart.pdf