Audioquest DC cables - why are there almost no high end DC cables?

Hi everyone,

I noticed it's very difficult to get high end dc cables.

Why is that?

Surely a lot of components use DC connections: LPS, DAC/Streamers, HDD's, Switches.

I have been reading that a good DC cable need 2 things:

1. Geometry: starquad
2. Thick awg (12?)

Now I want have a DC cable made with audioquest wiring. These tick the above two requirements.

Can I use AQ type 4, CV4 or Rocket33 to make a DC cable?

The plug I will be using is Oyaide. Oyaide has high quality DC plugs in 2.1 and 2.5.

Ideas?
128x128richardhk
Can anyone give me a definite answer if the nrg1.5 can be used as a DC cable when changing the plugs?

Please have a look at the materials and construction.

How would they be any different from stock DC cables?

I am about to buy.
Its good copper - Perfect Surface Copper, which is Audioquest’s version of OCC copper. Uses 19awg solid core conductors. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use it. I think it would work well.  Stock DC cables are usually very small gauge stranded tinned copper or other.

The people at AQ replied me again of using NRG1.5 cable and not speakercable:

"Alasdair Patrick Apatrick@audioquest.com

Yes, if you wish."

The cable is 2 x 16awg, not 19awg.

The other problem is that the sleeve of the nrg1.5 is quite thick.

Is there any problem connecting it to the Oyaide 2.5dc cable?

Can I remove the sleeve entirely, or just leave the ends open to pull the copper wiring out and then apply heated shrinkwrap?

yeah, the total cable is 16awg, but it uses 2 x 19awg conductors for each leg.  I was going to mention that the Audioquest power cord is quite stiff.  If you want to completely strip the outer cover and then just use the individually insulated conductors, you're better off just getting straight chassis wire.  Look at the Neotech 20awg Teflon OCC:

http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/neotech-wire-teflon-solid-cu-c-296_175_183_221

Or, if you want even better wire, try the Unicrystal OCC hookup wire from VH Audio:

https://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html

Then just use as many conductors for + / ground that you need.  Every time you double a wire, you increase the awg by 3.  For example, 2 x 20awg = 17awg.  3 x 20awg would be something like 15.5awg.  You can twist the wires or braid, then cover with heatshrink and/or techflex.  This would be more flexible than the Audioquest NRG cable.

If you do VH Audio, 18awg is what I would suggest.  Or use 18awg + 21awg to make the cable.  VH Audio has different colors you can order so that you can identify + / ground.  The Neotech wire is all red.