Brooklyn DAC+ Anyone?

Hey Folks,

I did some searches and did not see anyone claiming to have the DAC+.  Saw one positive review from a site of which I am unfamiliar.  I prefer reviews where there is listening and testing so perhaps we will have to hope for Stereophile or HiFi News to get one but that will probably take some time.

I have a DAC+ on backorder with MusicDirect so hopefully any bugs will be exterminated before I get mine.  I am also hoping for more details on the circuit changes.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
128x128robob
Why are you running such a good DAC through a preamp and a dated one at that?
Hi OP,

Yes, the original Brooklyn has the same "weird symptom" of playing back Redbook far better than one would expect any DAC to.

However, a couple of other new DAC's also have this peculiarity. :) Something has happened recently, perhaps with the clocks, or digital filters, but we may be past the need for high rez music.

Bet,

E
@erik_squires
Hi resolution audio is still better.

@shadorne
The CP-500 sounds really good and I cannot afford to replace it with something that might be better.  Remember, newer is not necessarily better.  Also the interface and I/O compliment are very nice as well.  Who offers a tape loop?  And yes,  I have tried others.

@pkaram. I have not directly compared it to my Explorer2 for MQA but because the DAC+ has a better analog stage, it should be better.
I have not tried the phono stage yet.

Y'all take care,
Robert
Robert,
Thanks for the detailed impressions.  Keep 'em coming if you don't mind posting. Like @kb54 above, I've been interested in the DAC-3 and the Brooklyn.  Now that the DAC+ has come out it just makes the decision harder and the speed at which this sector is advancing leads to paralysis.  I wish that I could listen to both but that's not an option for me.  Also, I don't use MQA now but I'd like the flexibility if I were to switch to Tidal down the road.
Dick
This ESS 9028 chip does sound like vinyl. Gustard and Benchmark are other good examples of recent new DACs with this chip.

With such great low noise performance and great analog circuits to complement the leading performance of the new chip, I would definitely NOT run any of these through another preamp.