Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli

Hi guys

I really do appreciate the feedback . I’ve gotten a couple e-mails also . As far as the dB’s . 108 is probably a more realistic #. With 110 peaks. I’m auditioning a set of Focal 948’s next week. And I took one of your suggestions and contacted Legacy. The Signature SA’s would wound my wallet, but I’ll drive the 4 hours needed to listen to them and then make a decision ... I did not mention in my post I’m pretty locked into speaker positioning. Toe in is no problem, but 1 foot out is going to be the max from against the wall.  Also , Auddessy says the speakers are 9.8 feet from MLP ..Thanks again ..And the process continues ......

@nitrobob Sorry to hear that they did not work out for you. Charles best delivers on a universal audio truth:

My takeaway is "no" audio product will please every listener. The Tekton Double Impact is no exception to this fact

The truly important thing is that you gave them a serious audition and likely learned more about what’s really important to you, in terms of how you want your system to deliver on Your Goals.

For me, the mid-range is (one area) where the beauty of the Double Impacts truly shines, and in my system it is clear and detailed and layered and defined and natural. Can it be better...Absolutely.

@mapman brings up positioning and the room, both of which are factors but both of which I have found the DIs to be less finicky with, though they definitely help deliver more from them when fully dialed in.

In addition to his point, I’d add the system ahead of the DIs as being just as important, if not more so. I’ve gone through a number of changes as I’ve worked on squeezing more out of the DIs, and I have found that they are sensitive to what’s ahead of them.

All the best on your speaker quest. Do post what you choose and your impressions of them. Exciting to have something to look forward to!

Just a little update on my DIs, I have about 40hrs listening now and I think I'm done on placement and ended up with 9' apart 41/2' from the side wall, 3 1/2' from the wall behind and 10' from listening position. I get a soundstage about 4'-5' past each speaker and about 4' above. Perfect!

So my 30yo daughter stops by and sees them and says boy those are big, I say yeah and she says what speakers are you buying next? I tell her this is it for mains, I'm 61yo and told her the quest over. I'm extremely happy with these and ask her ya wanna listen to them she says ah yea so I told her to sit in the sweet spot and threw on some Alan Parsons for her. Now my daughter knows about as much about listening to music as I dont know what to tell you. So I stood behind her and watched her head look to the left and right past each speaker and she says WOW those are crystal clear and they sound like 3D she says SWEET! Dad, and went back to looking at her cell phone. Any ways I'll be back after more hours go through them. So far I have to figure out the adjectives to describe these when I' done.

Hi David,
My thoughts regarding nitrobob’s listening impressions mirror yours. Incapatible electronics (for this speaker)  in the signal path not gelling with the Double Impacts, this more So than distance between speaker and listener.

When I heard Tom’s DIs the sitting distance seemed to be about 8 or 9 feet away and there were no issues. In his system set up midrange was clearly a strength. But to be fair the preamp and power amplifier were very different from what nitrobob used. So not surprising that the outcome is different.

Nitrobob will undoubtedly find speakers more suitable to his components and his particular taste and needs. Nothing new, once agai demonstrating the importance of audio system synergy IMO.
Charles

The tektons are efficient and fairly easy to drive. I heard them on a 10 watt tube amp and that did quite well. Low power amps would seem to be their best match. Speakers that do well with few watts often easily get overdriven with many. Especially if built to a lower price point.