Store auditioning and then buying on-line from others. How do you feel about it ?

Doesn't look too pretty, but who cares, right ?
inna
I remember going to Audio Classics when I was like 17. At the time I was into cd’s mostly and had started buying records because they were cheaper than CD’s. I wasn't ready to purchase, but I had a budding interest in improving my Denon and Design Acoustics Technics direct drive system. They were very unfriendly and it left enough of a mark that I have never gone into a brick and mortar store since. I buy used gear happily. I am even tentative to this day to go back. 20+ years later. It was pretty horrible. I know it is a respected shop, and I am missing out, but it’s just the way things unfolded.
Interesting how some people try to justify actions that aren't justifiable - if you use a dealer to audition, you don't get to then decide unilaterally that the dealer is making "too much" money and thus you are justified in theft of his time. 

A good dealer is invaluable and a bad one doesn't get a follow up visit.  Good dealers are useful to help you understand what you're looking for and what to consider.  I'll always take on a good dealer's comments but will do my own research (in the end, I don't always agree with them).  When I'm confident that something is worth auditioning, that's when it's time to use the dealer's time for an audition.

Where I am, there aren't many dealers and they are pushy (you *must* buy immediately) and they don't take trade ins.  So I don't buy locally even if they have an item I'm interested in and instead use vacations to visit dealers that are good dealers and with whom I can build a relationship (and who accept trade ins).  I'm also not always buying, so if I'm dropping by to say hello and just generally check things out, I'm clear up front that I'm not there to buy anything to make sure I don't waste their time if they have a buyer coming in for a serious audition.  I'm probably particularly sensitive to this given that I'm in a service industry myself.
some 30 years ago, when i lived in northern california there was a guitar store where every freakin kid in town would hang out all day and play gear which few of them could afford. i once asked the owner why he didn't kick out the obvious gawkers, and he told me that in due course these kids would grow into affluent consumers and would likely buy from him. i believe the store is still in business, so apparently his approach was sound.
@drvan 
Yes, I can relate to your experience(I lived in NYC), but there are some really great dealers out there. Like Barr81, you have to find them.
B
viridian

Thanks for that. I have customers who really really appreciate what I do...I should say what I did. Turned 74 last May...I have served our community well ( my opinion of course ) but I am done. 

If you want to know what I was about check out the show reports on my website soundsrealaudio.com. Those show reports gave me a lot of satisfaction. I remember one reviewer coming in, played three songs from different artists. Well the next year I say him in the hall and he said " I can't get those three songs out of my head ". I thought that was the very best compliment. 

You have great holidays yourself, and plan on how you are going to spend you " huge tax refund " you get in April. Lol

Best to you.