Best headphones you've ever heard/used

Well, the subject says it all I guess. I'm looking for two sets of good quality headphones.

The first one is an earphone for use with my iPod. I'm looking for a small pair of compact in-ear earphones. I take long boring flights to Asia often so it'd be nice if they were high quality and helped out with noise canceling. I've heard good things from Shure. Any other recommendations?

The second one will be for night time listening in my bed. These headphones can be big but hopefully not too heavy. I also need them to be wireless for at least 15ft.

Thanks in advance,
spacekadet
Lenny or anyone else: has any one compared the ultimate ears 10 pro to shure 5c or etyomics rsch 4ps?
Hi Henryhk,

A recent (within 6mos) issue of Stereophile reviewed the 5c(s) with a promise of a future review of the 10 pro. I had a rather lengthy discussion with Michael at UE about my listening tastes, expectations, etc. and he convinced me (OK, I got sold) to just go for the 10 Pros. The biggest difference I'm told is that they implement 2 bass armatures which provide greater slam and dynamic range. Anyway, I couldn't be happier, despite their price.
The in ear stuff sounds good, but anyone that isn't traveling should try them somehow first, because it is difficult to get the seal right.

One time I tried to pull it out, and I felt serious pain in the eardrum. My ear was sore all night. I use sure e3 which is all I wanted to spend since mp3, wma isn't exactly the highest quality front end anyway. I use it for travel only.

Just a warning for anyone considering these. They are great for travel: sound isolation, etc - but make sure you're comfortable with them cuz they aren't anything like regular headphones.
Thanks Lenny. I also think with regard to your concerns Robm321, the UE custome molded fit may solve some those issues: pure conjecture on my part but it must, shouldn't it?
Best place to explore this is over at head-fi.org, where they talk headphones incessantly, and are quite nice, too. I have learned a lot from there, and also used the site to make an informed purchase of my fave, the Audio Technica L3000.

For example, you'll find many comparisons of IEMs, but the UE-10 is clearly in the top of the heap, with the Sensaphonics 2Xs...those seem to be blow away the universal IEMs, from what I've read. I have the Shure e4 and e5 and have had the e2 and e3. The e4s/e5s are different and very good, but from what I've read, should not compare to the UE-10...and they are very different prices, too, with the UE-10 being almost 3x more than the shure e5.

- walkman