Audio Horizons fuses.... won’t buy them again...

I’ve bought 5 Audio Horizons Platinum fuses a couple of months ago, for my amps, speakers and DAC.
Three days ago, coincidentially, the 5A fuses on my mono amps (Rogue Apollos), blew at the same time on start up. Replaced them with the OEM fuses, and everything works again.
I have a very good electrical installation, with independent lines for each amp, a no surges or anything strange occurred. My speakers, Evolution Acoustics MM3s are always ON, and nothing happened to the fuses on them.
I emailed Joseph Chow inmediately and his response was to send the fuses back to him (at my cost, I live in Ecuador...), to repair them for $70/each, plus shipping.
I have paid $138 for each fuse in October, and no warranty?... what a shame!!!
Won’t buy these fuses again, NEVER!!!
128x128leog2015
You thought about it long and hard? Whoa! I trust you didn’t hurt yourself. I guess I’m not everyone’s cup of tea. That’s the way it goes sometimes. Comments accepted. Like the flowers.
Just an added note to my last post.

For those of you that posted you increased the size of your audio grade fuse by one size because the correct size blew, here is something you may want to consider. When the designer/manufacture sizes the ampere rating of the fuse to protect his equipment the ampere rating is usually higher than the power consumption of the equipment. It might be 110%, 125%, 150% 175%, or 250%. It can be as high as 300% of actual FLA of the piece of equipment and still meet electrical safety standards.

If you look on the back panel of the piece of equipment the manufacture should show the power consumption of the piece of the equipment and the AC voltage rating it is rated at.

If it is given in watts or Va just divide the watts/Va by the voltage.
Example of a tube power amp
330 watts @ 120V.
330/120 = 2.75 amps FLA.
Size of the line fuse?
For a tube power amp it will more than likely be a slo-blo fuse.
Ampere rating, depending on how beefy the power supply is at least 125% of the FLA.
125% of 2.75A = 3.4 amps
150% of 2.75A = 4.1 amps
175% of 2.75A = 4.8 amps
Good chance the fuse will be a slo-blo 4 amp 250v fuse.

What is the percentage if the ampere rating is increased by 1 amp? 4A to a 5A fuse.
175% of 2.75A = 4.8A
185% of 2.75A = 5.09A

So you may be increasing the lag, delay, time for startup inrush current so the fuse does not blow, but what are you doing for the overload current rating protection of the piece of equipment?

I don’t recall anyone going up a whole number in fuse rating. Especially if the fuse rating was a low number. That would be taking an unnecessary risk. 

geoffkait
7,687 posts                                                                       01-01-2018 6:44am

I don’t recall anyone going up a whole number in fuse rating. Especially if the fuse rating was a low number. That would be taking an unnecessary risk.

@ geoffkait ,

It’s a power amp that is spec’d, by the manufacture, to use a slow blow 5 amp 250V volt fuse. What size would you recommend to the OP moving up to with AH fuses?
http://www.rogueaudio.com/documents/ApolloManual.pdf

geoffkait Said:
This could just be a case where you need to increase the fuse rating, as others have noted.