Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
While searching for RVWillians thru all the shelves, cabinets, and boxes, I was listening to Alan Hovhaness Symphony No.50 "Mount St. Helens" (DELOS SE 3711)... By its 3rd Movement, The Eruption, I have almost s$%#t myself! I could not believe that my lowly Naim Audio can produce the sound of such Volcanic proportions! It is my favorite Holst and Kitaro combined, stunning!!! 
@schubert

"The Late LvB Quartets " by the Yale Qt. Damned right. $214 may seem like a lot to those who don’t know the music or the performance, though.

@sfseay

Atheists enjoy religious music too. Some of my favourite music is directly religious in nature: Gregorian Chant, Thomas Tallis, William Byrd. And most of Bach, of course. Why not try it, whether you are religious or not?
I don't doubt as many atheists listen to religious music as believers terry9 , of course its open to all . I’ve known atheists who live more Christian lives than
most Christians do . The 3 or 4 I’ve known well were all lovers of life who were "jilted " lovers by the evil so called believers cause and the good they don’t do .

I have both the LP and CD of the Yale LvB and IMO $214 is too much .
My LP set is now undergoing cryo at -12F in my MN storage locker, maybe that will change my mind .

At the risk of stating the obvious: Tallis Scholars, Allegri, "Miserere".

I've listened to a good deal of this style of music, and this piece and this recording still come out tops.  In my secondary system which is in a room with a cathedral ceiling (no pun intended) the acoustics are extraordinary.