Newbie Looking for Advice on Streaming Music

Hello Audiogon world.

I am new to this hobby but I think it will suit me well as it looks like it is an endless pursuit of perfection of sound without ever really getting there.  I love the endless possibilities, difference in thought, technology driven aspect mixed with old school art.

I am in the process of building my first 2 channel set up and recently picked up a Primaluna Dialogue HP and a pair of Sonus Faber Chameleons for starters.

Im looking to stream music from Tidal to the new equipment as simple as possible without compromising sound as much as I possibly can (budget permitting of course)

I have been doing some research and I must say this part of the equation is rather confusing with a lot of technical speak that gets brought into the discussion which is a bit overwhelming for a newbie trying to soak it all in.

Do I need to purchase a high quality DAC?
Can I just buy a streaming box like the Paradigm PW Link or Def Tech W Adapt and hook it into the Primaluna?
Do I go with the Halide Design DAC HD D/A Converter from computer straight into Primaluna?
I also read about the wyred4sound modified Sonos Connect.  Does that plus into a DAC or straight into Amp?

Apologies for all the newbie questions.  I did try searching and doing some research but found myself getting confused.  If someone could help me clear up what I will need that will set me on the path to researching the best value for my budget for each component I will need to accomplish my goals of streaming my music from Tidal.

Thanks in advance.  I think this will be a fun hobby!

Don

donblackie
My integrated, a hegel h360 has an onboard dac but i'm new to streaming and currently run a usb from a laptop to the unit and with tidal's highest res option many songs sound very good but am I getting the most from both formats? 1 being tidal and the other being the onboard dac? a dealer recommends the blue sound into my analog outs which makes no sense to me?

Not to me either.

The USB interface on most DACs is a weakpoint IME.  you have the issues with USB SQ mixed with an unknown USB implementation.  I would avoid the analog outs and use your Hegel DAC.

The Bluesound would be a good choice if there were features in there that you like ie; player software, user interface and streaming accessibility.  I would use the S/PDIF output from it and reclock it with a Synchro-Mesh to lower the jitter.  I would use a very good S/PDIF cable, like this one:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154425.0

If you want to improve your USB, then get a Berkeley USB converter and a good S/PDIF cable to your DAC.  Get a good power supply to power the 5V in the USB cable, which powers the input side of the converter.  This still requires a good player software and a good USB output port to sound decent. All USB ports are not the same.   

I use Amarra for USB, but Jriver with Ethernet is better.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I too have been looking at the Oppo Sonica, DAC. For the money it seems to give the best bang for the buck.

JD

Now if only Charter would give me a clean and stable internet...
I too am looking at the Oppo Sonica, DAC.  Seems to give the most Bang for the buck.

JD

Now if only Charter would give me clean, STABLE, internet...

Steve, shadorne, willemj,

Thanks for your discussion here. I’m in a similar situation. I have a W4SDac2DSD, which is not bad, but am looking into what I need to start streaming Tidal, Spotify, etc. I have an old MacMini that I’m using for personal computing (home office) that I may convert to audio-only use. I’ve also been eyeing higher end streamers, and I’ve also been looking at NOS R2R ladder dacs, like Metrum, Denafrips, etc. Any thoughts and discussion are appreciated.

I may have missed it somewhere along the way here, but a significant consideration with respect to the Bluesound that has not been touched upon is MQA compatibility. Streaming Tidal MQA is a real treat. If you want a single box solution with VERY good sound, the Bluesound PowerNode 2 is a streamer, MQA compatible DAC, and amplifier all in one. Amplifier is high quality (NAD). The Node2 has the same MQA compatibility BTW. The Powernode 2 has a subwoofer out (and internal fixed 80hz crossover you can turn on or off). I use it with some nice Monitor Audio Gold 50's and a Velodyne compact sub to VERY good effect. Don't know how you can be up and running MQA with quality amplification any easier or cheaper - while you research separates. You may decide they aren't necessary...