Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I believe so craig59, but I have misplaced my cheat sheet and can’t say
for sure, in any event I never heard a bad Boult .
My real man with RVW is Vernon Hadley, nobody did more for English composers..IMO Handley was the most sensitive conductor of RVW and the Warner Classics are heavy on him with RLPO. LPO and others .
I like good sound myself but can, and do at times , listen to a scratchy old
78 if the performance merits it .
schubert:
Decided to go with the remastered Boult set, along with some of the Stanford pieces mentioned above. Will let you know.
Your comments about 78s reminds me of the point I made on the first post above; there are great performances out there that are sabotaged for some because of recording quality. I commend you on being able to get past that to the content below. Unfortunately, have been a musician and studio person for so long that I can no longer suffer bad fidelity.
Think it was you that mentioned Alwyn, an interesting symphonist. Have grown to like his 4th symphony and Elizabethan Dances (on a Chandos release) and, so, ordered all 5 of the symphonies by LSO/Hickox. Amazon is having trouble with this delivery but will let you know my reactions when they arrive. Alywn's formal style is much different than Arnold's. He has, to my ears, a more consistent approach towards delivering and developing themes.
So many superb English symphonists during the 20th century. Sad to think that the recent downturn in classical appreciation may have caused an end to this tradition.

Well, the old saw the good is the enemy of the best IMO should be the revised to bad taste is the enemy of everything

I don’t know if it’s true or not but a Professor I had once said ."There will never be another Mozart , no one born in the age of television will ever have his clarity of mind " .

As I said I don’t know, but as someone who was around well before TV (and rock) it rings true for a LOT of things .

Well, the clarity of Mozart's mind is heightened by the precise nature of many early music performances. Recently ran across a Nimbus CD of the Hanover Band/Goodman doing his most popular items: the g-minor symphony (#40), Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, and the Clarinet Concerto. Nothing special in this -- except the clarinetist is playing a "Basset Clarinet;" with a lower range than the modern instrument and sounding very, very smooth.

This used purchase set me back the handsome sum of fifty cents and has become my goto selection for the clarinet concerto  -- one of those works you definitely should take with you to a desert island.

If you enjoy Mozart and similar, but just want a slight change, here's Ignaz Pleyel, Symphony 3/ 2nd Symphonie Concertante/ 6th Symphonie Periodique.  On CPO.

Beautiful, spacious, well-balanced recording.  (Or perhaps it's just my system finally coming together and relaxing.)