Audio Research LS7 - Still a good performer?

Hello all!

Currently in the process of moving to separates and wanting to get tubes into my system in the process.  Working on a deal on a ARC LS7 line-stage and wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts on its sound/performance?

The unit looks to be in very good shape for its age ('95-'97), original owner with four "6922" dual-triode tubes (not sure what this means...will have to learn "tube-speak").

Thanks for any thoughts!

Arvin

128x128arvincastro
The LS-7 was, in my opinion, ARC's most "tubey-sounding" preamp after the LS-5.  Subsequent models have been more neutral, though I believe the SP-16 might be similarly balanced tonally,   It is not as good, IMHO, as the earlier LS-5 (very highly regarded by its owners), but it does have the advantage (unless your source components and amp are all balanced) of having single-ended, rather than balanced, inputs and outputs, making it more compatible with much of the equipment out there.  I liked it much more than ARC's earlier hybrid preamps and line stages, and I'd assume that it should be pretty inexpensive at this tome, since it was inexpensive (for ARC) when it came out.  If it's in good working condition (ask how long the tubes have been used) and the seller lets you try it in your system, you might like it, as it will give you an idea of the tube sound.

Audio Research preamps have come a long way in the last 20 years or so. I would try to find an LS16 mk2. The LS16 mk2 and LS25 mk2 were two of the first ARC preamps to use the 6H30 tube. They are more detailed and holographic than previous preamps. A huge improvement even over the original LS16 and LS25 preamps. I had an LS25 mk2 for many years and it was also a great preamp.

If you are just starting a  component system, that is a good play to start. I wish I still had my 5!
What is the seller asking for the 7?

JD
You should factor in the cost of sending it to ARC for a complete overhaul. Some Caps etc might have to be replaced. The other problem is you have no warranty. Go to your local dealer who can give you a path in building your system.