Your Thoughts on the BAT VK-3i

Any thoughts on the BAT VK-3i almost 20 years after its introduction? Is it still a relevant preamp or has it been surpassed within its class? 
rlb61

From what I’ve read the real 6H30 properly implemented is very good, lower impedance, dynamic, better drive, transparent, more linear ect, and it seems if you don’t like it, your just being shown what the source sound is giving, without much colouration’s that other tube/s may gloss over.

Cheers George
georgehifi: The tubes that came with my (used) VK-300SE were flaking out on arrival. I called ARC for replacements. They asked "which of our products will the tubes go into". I stated I'd be using BAT equipment. The new tubes arrived and went bad in about two months (noisy and uneven output). That's when I sprung for the BAT NOS 6H30 at $600/pr. Have been enjoying great, problem free sound ever since. I wish I could find new tubes that performed as well (for 1/3 the cost).
I had the 5i, 50SE, 31SE, and 51SE.

The 31SE was the best value. I thought the 5i was overly warm and the frequency extremes ill-defined. I should have rolled tubes, but its a lot of $ for NOS.

That's when I sprung for the BAT NOS 6H30 at $600/pr. Have been  enjoying great, problem free sound ever since.

That's why it's been nick-named the "Super Tube" It's been said  that  it performs closer to good solid state than any other tube, without resorting to a "cathode follower" arrangement.

Cheers George   
If the 6H30 performs close to solid state, then why not just get a solid state component in the first place?