Subwoofer recommendations for mostly music

I don't know anything about subwoofers, so be kind to me! I currently have some sort of Velodyne hooked up to my system. It doesn't seem to add a thing to my system - possibly because it's crap, or possibly because I don't have it set up correctly! I would like to get another subwoofer anyway, so would like some recommendations. It will be part of my HT system, but I really want one that is good for music. I listen to classical, classical rock, jazz and World Music for the most part.

I will be pairing it with bi-wired B&W CM4 speakers (center is a B&W CMC) and I use a Rotel RSX1055 receiver. (I know a lot of people here don't like B&W speakers or Rotel components, but please don't suggest that I upgrade this stuff first - I can't afford to and don't want to!)

Budget wise, I would prefer <$500, if possible - used is fine.
oakiris
I picked up a REL Strata II in its original box in mint condition for 700. The newer III version is more like 800/850; nicer looking but does it perform any better? I don't know. The II works great and is seamless in integration with my SET system.
I'm using a Velodyne HGS-10 with a pair of KEF Reference 104/2s and I find it to be a seamless blend. You are unaware of the sub, except that very low frequencies, e.g. pedal notes of pipe organs, are rendered particularly well. I will be trying a HGS-15 in the system this weekend, and if it integrates as well, I'll add it.

db
I was in a similar boat as yourself about a month back. I had a subwoofer I was not happy with as it was not very musical and did not handle some HT notes like those found in Lord of the Rings. I was turned onto VMPS as a choice for a sub, and purchased one used on this site. I bought an original sub with all the bells and whistles and so far I love it. It brought great warmth to my Axiom M22's and is killer in HT. Tuned at 19hz it goes very low. The Larger VMPS sub goes even lower. The only problem I could see for some people is the subs size (It uses a 15" passive radiator instead of a ported system) so the sub is kind of large. Second may or may not be a problem. The subs do not come powered, so I bought a used Rotel 980BX amp bridged mono and it is plenty or power. Since I bought both used, I paid about the same for both the Rotel amp and the sub, as I would for a nice powered sub like svs or hsu. I personally found buying seperate pieces leaves me more expansion options in the future, like a possible dual sub system. Just my two cents....
Velodyne Digital Drive series. I have the DD-12 and find it so adaptable to the musice source and the best part is the 6 pre-set eq adjustments you set. So you can have one setting for movies and progress up to six incremental steps to tighter quicker bass. The servo has eight speed settings that you select for each preset and also with the included microphone and video output displaying the equalizer graph and a second video page where you set each level of adjustment. You really taylor the sub to your room enviroment. Check it out, I was sold on my first demo. But I was fortunate enough to have a one on one demo with the Velodyne reps.