Subwoofer recommendations for mostly music

I don't know anything about subwoofers, so be kind to me! I currently have some sort of Velodyne hooked up to my system. It doesn't seem to add a thing to my system - possibly because it's crap, or possibly because I don't have it set up correctly! I would like to get another subwoofer anyway, so would like some recommendations. It will be part of my HT system, but I really want one that is good for music. I listen to classical, classical rock, jazz and World Music for the most part.

I will be pairing it with bi-wired B&W CM4 speakers (center is a B&W CMC) and I use a Rotel RSX1055 receiver. (I know a lot of people here don't like B&W speakers or Rotel components, but please don't suggest that I upgrade this stuff first - I can't afford to and don't want to!)

Budget wise, I would prefer <$500, if possible - used is fine.
oakiris
I've a Velodyne DD-18 now after replacing a Velodyne DD-12. It does (as did the DD-12) wonders for anchoring my B&W CDM 9NT's... I listen to vinyl quite a bit and wouldn't think of turning the Velodyne off! I find it hard to understand how yours doesn't add some magic although you didn't put the model in your post. The Digital Drive series is OUSTANDING... and the 12" DD-12 offered me all I could want. The move to the 18" driver wasn't only done as I like what the 12" did so much I figure more of a good thing is a good thing!
Hi Sailfishben - At some point in this thread, I did post my Velodyne model - the CHT-8. nothing even close to the quality that the direct drive Velodyne's are reputed to have! Now you know why I wanted to replace it!

If I had the money, I would have gone for an ACI Titan, but my budget was pretty small, so, it's the Rocket for me instead!
can be used for sub duty. They are better than most of the plate amps that come with subs too. Like I said earlier the VMPS larger for 300 and you're done. You won't be wanting in bass quality or bass power. There's a reason they've sold thousands of those subs and they rarely are up for sale compared to how many are out there.
Hi Oakiris,

I own the ACI Titan II (now called the Titan), and I bought my dad the Onix Rocket UFW-10...

I think that while the Titan is definitely a better sub overall (on both music and HT), you will be very happy with the Onix.

The ACI goes lower, and gets louder... it also integrates very nicely due to its dual variable crossovers, but the Onix, with its 1 band parametric equalizer, is no slouch with respect to integration either...

I think you will be particularly impressed on with the UFW-10 on music... On HT, the 10 inch driver runs a bit out of steam... But unless you are looking to "bring down the house" (and annoy your neighbors) I think it will satisfy. Build quality is nothing less than first rate as well... When you see the woodwork, you will understand what I mean. :-)

---Dave
Thanks Dave! I know that the sub may bottom out on some of the action movies, but I think it will do just the same. It is definitely better than the Velodyne I have, which only had an 8" driver and (I think) only went down to the mid 30's in low frequency Hz. And, I wanted a musical sub, so I got one. Maybe next year I'll add a second UFW-10 - or go for the 12" model Rocket is supposed to have out later this year.