Subwoofer recommendations for mostly music

I don't know anything about subwoofers, so be kind to me! I currently have some sort of Velodyne hooked up to my system. It doesn't seem to add a thing to my system - possibly because it's crap, or possibly because I don't have it set up correctly! I would like to get another subwoofer anyway, so would like some recommendations. It will be part of my HT system, but I really want one that is good for music. I listen to classical, classical rock, jazz and World Music for the most part.

I will be pairing it with bi-wired B&W CM4 speakers (center is a B&W CMC) and I use a Rotel RSX1055 receiver. (I know a lot of people here don't like B&W speakers or Rotel components, but please don't suggest that I upgrade this stuff first - I can't afford to and don't want to!)

Budget wise, I would prefer <$500, if possible - used is fine.
oakiris
Hi Oakiris,

I own the ACI Titan II (now called the Titan), and I bought my dad the Onix Rocket UFW-10...

I think that while the Titan is definitely a better sub overall (on both music and HT), you will be very happy with the Onix.

The ACI goes lower, and gets louder... it also integrates very nicely due to its dual variable crossovers, but the Onix, with its 1 band parametric equalizer, is no slouch with respect to integration either...

I think you will be particularly impressed on with the UFW-10 on music... On HT, the 10 inch driver runs a bit out of steam... But unless you are looking to "bring down the house" (and annoy your neighbors) I think it will satisfy. Build quality is nothing less than first rate as well... When you see the woodwork, you will understand what I mean. :-)

---Dave
Thanks Dave! I know that the sub may bottom out on some of the action movies, but I think it will do just the same. It is definitely better than the Velodyne I have, which only had an 8" driver and (I think) only went down to the mid 30's in low frequency Hz. And, I wanted a musical sub, so I got one. Maybe next year I'll add a second UFW-10 - or go for the 12" model Rocket is supposed to have out later this year.
I just purchased an REL sub The Q150E. One of the main reasons is the unique set up which provides a high level and low level input. The low level is the traditional rca input that is used for the LFE. The high level is a proprietary connector (sub-side). The other connection is down at your main speaker connections on your receiver or amp. They provide a level control for both the high and low level inputs. The idea is that for music the high level signal sends the same signal as your main speakers and the roll-off is controlled by the sub. It works great at filling out the bottom end on music and even SACD and DVD-Audio. The key is you must set up the main speakers for "large" so a full bandwidth signal is sent to the sub.

My experience is new with this brand, model and hook-up but my first impressions is that it is the most versatile sub I have seen for music and providing accurate control for music.
I recently replaced the Velodyne HGS-10 I used with my KEF 104/2s with a Velodyne HGS-15. Both the 10 and 15 integrate seamlessly with the 104/2s, but the 15 provides more definition of very low frequencies and much more punch for movies. The sub sits out from the corner behind the right 104/2 in accordance with the Rives guidelines (and my own listening), and the Proceed preamp sends everything below 80 Hz to it. I'll start watching Audiogon for a second HGS-15 for the other corner.

I use a KEF 200C for the center channel and KEF 102/2s for surrounds. I'm very please with the sound of this system for both stereo music and movies.

db
I haven't yet watched any DVDs since I installed my new sub, but I have played a lot of CDs, and the Rocket UFW10 is wonderful for music! I hope to watch some DVDs later this week to see how it does with them.

Thanks again for the recommendation, Newbie13. :-)