Coming out of the blackhole called work...retirement

Hello All

I have just retired and emerged from the mud of work that encompasses everything and acts light a blackhole for hobbies and enjoyment. Now that I am seeing some light I want to upgrade my 70's something stereo to something I can really enjoy. I read in a post from long ago about a preamplifier called a George Lightspeed. It was Australian, quality sound according to the posts and cheap. Is this something I want to consider or must I look at products in the thousands or 10's of? 

128x128amg56
@amg56.....you are speaking of the Lightspeed Attenuator, by George, who goes by the name here of georgehifi. 
@amg56...btw, welcome to the 'Gon, and congrats on your retirement. With that much money available, and a new house to be built, I would pay attention to the room build, for example : reinforced walls, floor and ceiling, dedicated electrical, and room acoustics. 

Thank you all so far. I have been browsing the various posts and note that all (most) really know what the equipment specifications are. I also note that there is a lot of bagging happening (friendly I hope). This does not help a person such a myself (HiFi ignorant, well not too ignorant...) get an opinion of elements making up a system. I cannot believe the mounds of metal that disguise turntables. I have browed dozens of floor mounted speakers each 2m but range from a couple of thousand to... well I need to be a movie star or own an oil well to consider one for my study let alone a humble dedicated music room.

I guess music is personal as my 70's system has been to me. A small/medium upgrade will seem like a transformism, or crud.

Welcome! amg56

Best advice is to visit dealers/retailers and listen, listen, listen to the gear.

There is no substitute for your own ears. Enjoy the audio journey.

Happy Listening!

You might want to spend time going through the Virtual Systems by room size and get an idea how we here on Audiogon have set up different rooms/systems...