After Quad ESL's?

I am enjoying listening to Quad esl-63's and to the 57's (which I prefer). And though my wife has enjoyed them also, she informs me that her heretofore acceptance of the visual impact on our living room has been "only out of love." Her valiant endurance of my Quad-love has come to an end, period.

It has been six years.

So, now the time has come:
Speak, Quad owners (and former Quad owners), about what else has worked for you.

I would like a smaller, (than the quad) used speaker that images better than the Quad's. These are some of the directions I am thinking about:
The Vandersteen 2c Signatures are on the large side.
Perhaps a Dynaudio monitor, B&W 802 Matrix Series III, Proac (are there any that aren't excessively bright?). Are Lowthers a possibility, or too hopelessly colored?

I am attracted to ATC and Merlin, My taste runs expensive, but my pocket book (I work as a concert piano technician) runs shallow.

$1500 a pair or less would work best.

I also welcome your synergistic amplification suggestions. So far, I have prefered the sound of tubed equipmnet in the under $1500 per component range. I have recently been captivated by the idea of TVC (transformer volume control) Bent Audio NOH, etc. with a SET. But, the TacT M2150 (integrated without room correction) also intrigues me. Does anyone know how it sounds?

Acutal experience prefered to conjecture. Let it rip, and I thank you in advance for your thoughts and replies.
earthpulse
The horn shoppe horns look fantastic, I bet they sound that way too. Especially with SET or SEP(?) single-ended pentode?

But in my case, as I think I mentioned, my domestic harmony ruled out large obelisks.

Also, with back loaded horns, many here have also complained about beamy high frequencies and wooly bass or less than steller bass, or no low bass at all.

Because the Quads always had these limitations which were a source of irritation to other listeners (I enjoy sharing music with friends) as well as myself, the solutions to these limitations became the criteria any new speaker had to meet.

According to design review (singer/songwriter Pollyanna Bush – see CDBaby.com, for her album), the Gallos Ref 3's are a winner, and that, my friends, is more than half the battle.

Good listening, with good music,
Earthy.
I also preferred the 57's over the 63's and lived with the 57's in a second system for a while. I preferred my Sonus Faber Electa's over the 57's, particularly driven by a tubed amp. So my recommendation would be to try the smaller standmount SF's and maybe use a CJ CAV 50 integrated. You asked for specific experiences so I'll stick to what I've owned and suggest trying Sonus Fabers with CJ tubes.
On the other hand, if imaging is your main priority, there are probably better choices out there than the SF's. But it's hard not to fall for their midrange and purity of tone/timbres.
Good luck

Rooze
I have used many speakers throughout my years as a audio enthusiast. I recently owned a pair of Harbeth Monitor 40's, I have owned speakers like Dynaudio, Spendor, Proac, Rogers LS5/9 Rogers LS3/5a, Tannoys and many many others, I recently heard electrostatics and found them to have the best imaging and midrange. I sold the harbeths and have very happily settled with a pair Quad ESL 63 speakers (fully refurbished). The Quads are like a window, the better your equipment is the better the Quads will sound. I use Accuphase equipment costing in the region of £13,000. The Quads are amazing. Do not sell them!
Just in time Abz90.......
Another few years and Earthpulse would have made a terrible mistake?
I had stacked Quad 57's, and a single pair of 63's.
My first stats were Acoustat 3 without the servo amps.
Also owned Martin Logan Sequel 2, and two pairs of ML CLS.

I went thru a cone phase,but came back to stats with a nice pair of Acoustat Monitor X with the tube servo amps which have been upgranded where necessary.

I think that once the stat bug bites,and you have been bitten, someday you will want another pair of stats and rue the day you let your Quads go.

I suggest you find some cheap little speakers to please the wife, and look for another space in your home for one pair of Quads, or at least put one pair in storage.

Trust me, someday you'll be looking to buy what you've sold.