ARC Ref 6 VS. Vac Renaissance MK V

Have heard the Ref 6. Was super detailed and transparent but very forward. Have not heard the VAC preamp. Thoughts? 
dchattleton
((((Have heard the Ref 6. Was super detailed and transparent but very forward.)))

I totally disagree.
Could it be the fellow who played it had his speakers too far out into the room causing a lack of foundation or meek power response?

Perhaps the speakers you heard it with were light n bright and were not to your preference?
Warmed up properly, Broken in 400 hours?
 Highly dought it was the Ref 6 it's a pretty amazing machine.
When partnered with other well-designed gear it plays extraordinarily .
 JohnnyR
 ARC dealer

Went to Axpona and the VAC rooms always sound great. Their new preamps are so much better than their older models, I just had to have one. The Ren MK V is outstanding with all types of music.

ARC gear is good but just does not connect with me. I have listened to their top products for many years but to me, they just lack soul, the feel.

Vac is a better sounding preamp more neutral and more musical.Vac also has great service as well.
I have not heard either of your two choices but I do own the Renaissance mk1 which replaced an Audio Research preamp.  The build quality of the VAC is superior to the AR if that matters to you.  I would take the VAC without thinking twice.
The only limitation I noticed on the mk5 is only 3 inputs plus the phono, so if you have a lot of things to connect you have a problem.