New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
I know you mention significantly.  well sometimes the little things are in fact a lot
tzh21y:

I have the GAE and my experience is that the arm sounds great. I actually look at it as a freebie considering the low cost of the G/GAE (low compared to the other low-tech MDF TT’s being pushed on the unsuspecting public; many times at much higher prices) tables. The arm sounds fantastic. I have heard the Triplanar on at least two Monaco TT rigs (very expensive systems) and both struggled to achieve great sound. I would say they eventually achieved good sound but certainly nothing to write home about. Granted, those are specific cases and I have NOT heard the G/GAE with a Triplanar. I probably wont as I am not a fan of that arm.

I can tell you that headshells make a big difference and one of the first things I would suggest is replacing the stock Technics headshell for a big jump in performance (and the mat has to go). I bought the LP Gear Zupreme and the Audio-Technica AT-LH18/0CC. I use the LP Gear Zupreme with one of my Denon 103R’s. The AT is awaiting the arrival of the ART 1000 Direct Power MC to arrive.
 I would like Ralph to comment on why he is so opposed to this arm.  I imagine with a different headshell the stock arm could become significantly better than with the stock headshell.  The video on youtube from fremer really has me scatching my head to what Ralph is talking about.  The stock arm sounds pretty darn good.  I am not saying it bests a triplanar but I bet its closer than he would lead one to believe.
I'm not particularly opposed to *that* arm, what I am opposed to is engineering bugs. The Technics arm, like many others, has the bearings in the plane of the arm tube rather than the LP surface. This causes the tracking force to vary more with warp and bass notes (think about 2 people carrying a couch over flat ground and then up a stairs- who is carrying the most weight going up the stairs?). As a result they don't play bass right. I have several LPs which I recording and some of them which I also mastered. I know what they are supposed to sound like; I was there when the recording was made. The reason I like the Triplanar is because it plays the bass best of any arm I've heard, while also getting the mids and highs right. It is one of the most adjustable arms made and has some of the best bearings available. Its not that the Technics is a bad arm, its just that the Triplanar is better.
tzh21y02-05-2018 11:56am
tonearm wire leads also change the sound.  thats why people make changes in these areas on a regular basis
If you have a need to change your pickup wire leads regularly, then there's something truly amiss. Wire technology is a pretty mature technology. What you might be noticing is the affect of disconnecting/re-connecting the cables, which can improve connector contact.

Ralph:

In your sofa analogy, where are the persons who are supposed to represent the bearings positioned? I am trying to picture this analogy and it is not working in my head LOL (maybe its my head :). If they're both facing each other along the long sides of the sofa in order to imitate the arm/bearing in the horizontal plane, they would both experience the same weight. If they are at the ends of the sofa, I don't see the similarity with a tonearm bearing in the horizontal or vertical plane. 

Also, I have played, in direct comparison the Technics with albums that I also happen to have on tape (R2R Safety Master Copy) and I will state that in my system the bass sounds dead on. There are no aberrations which stand out. I have compared Café Blue (15ips and 33.3), Jacintha is Her Name (15ips and 45) and Here's to Ben (15ips and 45). I have also done this with CD. Café Blue is a digital recording, 16bit 48khz if I recall correctly. 

Note that I did not state the Lp and the tape sound identical.