Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Winson, thanks very much.  Greatly appreciated.  Glad that you have such high praise for the software.  It sure seems special.  I have a couple of friends who are looking at the Memory Player Mini to get the suite with a well built player that can be upgraded over time at an affordable price.  

Matt keeps on truckin'

I have Clock Mapper too and am waiting on recommendations for the optimised Bios setting for my MoBo...both from them and from a very computer savvy (Professional) friend who is also an audiophile.

The Mini seems to be a GREAT entry point too. Its a NUC loaded up with the software. Of course,  if they start with any decent LPSU powered quad core Server, they are already a step ahead.

Load up those slots! LoL

Ctsooner,
I agree regarding the importance of high quality electronics (preamplifier and amplifier) in the signal path. I do feel that there’s an overemphasis placed on speakers in audiophile threads/discussions at times. Obvious each link of the audio  chain matters. If I had to choose one or the other, I’d select great electronics with "good" speakers rather than good electronics with "great" speakers. This puts me in a minority position but it’s based on many listening experiences.

Regarding the Ayre QX5-20 you’re no doubt very impressed with it. I’d like to hear it in a direct comparison with the LampiZator Atlantic. This would be quite an informative and interesting listening session.
Charles
I have heard teh Atlantic, but not in the same room and system as mine. I personally like the micro and macro detail the the Ayre just nails.  I read that review of Steve's incredible ODSX and Plaskin calls his QX5 a bit forward.  I don't get that in my system at all and I have an Ayre AX5/20 running it.  If a recording is mastered forward, then it will give me that. If it's not, then it won't present that like many others will.  When I make a statement like that, I realize that I wasn't in the room when the music I"m listening to was mastered.  I can't know how they wanted it, but these are mostly tunes that I'm familiar with on many systems and if something is mostly 'not forward', then I'm making a broad based assumption that it probably wasn't mastered that way.  Visa versa.  

I now will sell my Ayre QX5, but like the Empirical Audio ODSE/SE, I will miss it greatly.  As for the Atlantic vs, I think the biggest difference is that the Lampi doesn't have quite the detail that the Ayre has and the Ayre's noise floor is the lowest of the two by a bit.  Charlie builds a lot of his own power filtering in the mids on up into all his units now.  The QX5 has special filtering in it. I also liked that it's got one of the best streamers built into it.  It sounds better by a smidge than the Aurender N100 that I heard side by side.  I also feel it's best in balanced mode.  The one thing I like about Ayre is that it's neither tube nor SS.  That is the Ayre sound and it's what Charlie has always been about, even back in his Avalon Accoustic days.  He's one of the few who were able to figure that all out. His diamond stages really pushed that concept forward in his designs.  

I just can't do tubes anymore. I love many of the tube designs and I owned Jadis, Quicksilver, Aesthetix, Conrad Johnson and Audio Research along with Counterpoint (best of most if not for breaking down monthly).  Until I got the Ayre gear a few years ago, tubes were all I owned.  Heck, I'd die for the Vandersteen 7 mk2's with Richards amp that is a tube/hybrid type of amp.  I have enjoyed the Lampi the few times I've heard them.  Would I own one?  Of course I would. Many DAC's I'd own, but I do feel that in the prices ranges I've ended up playing in, I got the right one for my system.

It's crazy as with MS, it takes me so long to write something like this, so please bear with me when I'm off on a tangent at times and if my thoughts aren't always in sync. Thanks.