Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, you and Frogman are making interesting conversation, but you both are totally wrong.

Do you recall an interview with Herby Hancock, where he stated how he goofed (played wrong chord or notes) and Miles came right behind him and made it all perfect; Miles thought that was what Herby intended to play. Improvisation is spontaneous, there is nothing predetermined about it.

Evidently, what you and Frogman can not comprehend, you must find other reasons for it's existence; I have seen jazz musicians perform impossible feats night after night; they're jazz musicians, that's what they do.

No matter how many people the concert pianist reached, the music was right in front of him and it may have been hundreds of years old; "external", outside of one's body; "internal", from the soul, that inner spirit that makes us alive, and different from every other human being on the planet; that's where the jazz musician is coming from.

In regard to reaching people, I'm sure the concert pianist reaches his desired audience. I may not hear anything when I look at a Beethoven piano sonata, but a concert pianist most certainly would when he looked at it; but did he create it?

Building blocks, nuts and bolts; I assume you are referring to the stuff that makes music; if so, all musicians use the same nuts and bolts, they just arrange them differently.

Bill Frizell, Thomas Morgan, "Subconscious Lee"; the music reached me, I didn't have to make any effort. I checked and was surprised it was done in 2016.

Subconscious-Lee is a jazz album by Lee Konitz although a few tracks were issued on 78rpm under Lennie Tristano's name. It was recorded in 1949 and 1950, and released on the Prestige label.

Now everything makes perfect sense; ever heard of "Jack Kerouac"? I don't know where Lee Konitz got his inspiration from, but it sounds awfully "Beat" to me, can you dig it?

*****Do you recall an interview with Herby Hancock, where he stated how he goofed (played wrong chord or notes) and Miles came right behind him and made it all perfect; Miles thought that was what Herby intended to play. Improvisation is spontaneous, there is nothing predetermined about it.*****

How did Miles know Herbie had messed up?   He must have broken some musical rule that was easily noticed by another musician, who being a great player, just made it all right.  And also, how did Herbie know Miles had covered his mistake?   Maybe they spoke the same language.

Cheers

Listing artists, not particular discs:

Carla Bley
Gary Burton 
Stan Getz
Charlie Haden
Jim Hall
Modern Jazz Quartet
Thelonius Monk 
Gerry Mulligan