Dynaudio vs B&W help...

Hey everyone... curious on your thoughts between a set of Dynaudio Focus 600XD vs B&W 804D2 speakers. The Dynaudio are obviously amplified, the 804's would be run off my Cambridge CXR200 (170 wpc). 

Over all, which would be a better set up for music and HT fronts? Thanks!
manofsteelpt
^^^ Older Dynaudios were balanced as described BUT all new Dynaudio’s have been voiced much closer to nuetral with amazing resolution and ability to dig deep into a recording!If you look at the specs Dynaudio has lightened up the bass just a touch and removed that midbass hump.The new coating process has delivered tweeters that are extended and very refined,more so than the B&W’s...They can now also be run with lower powered tubes as the impedance corrected crossovers result in a extremely linear load...My money would go towards Dynaudio's...

You are right, the "new" Dynaudios have been voice much closer to neutral (no longer have a "bloom").  They are smoother and much more controlled.  However, I don't know that I fully agree that the tweeters are better than B&W.  The new Dynaudio tweeters are very clear and clean.  (The Op was asking about the Focus 600XD, which is the old Dynaudio sonic signature).

The B&W Diamond tweeters have a "bite" to the sound that kind of reaches out and grabs you.  The "new" Dynaudio has a clearer and more solid sounding midrange than the B&W D2.

In my opinion, the B&W would have a much more exciting sound for HT, and I think it still sounds more "natural" than the new Dynaudio..  The "new" Dynaudio has a much more controlled and linear response, probably leaning more towards the Sonus Faber type of sound.

I think it depends on your tastes and what type of sound you're looking for.

Thanks both of you for those indepth responses!!! 

Would my avr AVR be strong enough to power the 804's sufficiently? That is my main concern with them. The 600XD has way more power (600 watts). 

Overall sound quality and clarity is what I'm after. Doesn't necessarily have to be the loudest of the 2 per se. 

Thanks again!

I think your AVR would be fine.  It is 170 watts per channel into 8 ohms, or 270 watts into 4 ohms WHEN ONLY 2 SPEAKERS ARE DRIVEN.  Or it is 120 watts per channel when all 7 speakers are driven.  This is still a good size shared power supply.  You are never going to use all power for all speakers concurrently.

The 804 is considered an 8 ohm speaker, but the impedance will drop down to 3 ohms (not entire sure where).  I think you may start having challenges with an amplifier that is 100 watts or less, but it still would work.  With your specific AVR, I think you are fine.  If you really wanted to, you could always attach an external amplifier using the Left/Right Pre Outs.

Post removed