Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I understand you being upset over the deaths during Katrina, however I think you are upset at the wrong people.

Most deaths in hurricanes are caused by the storm surge i.e. the water that is pushed ashore by the force of the hurricane winds. Flooding. The winds look dramatic on TV, but most of the deaths are caused by drowning. Therefore, most people are killed DURING the hurricane. What happens after a hurricane, is giving people water, food, shelter and medical attention. The military can be useful at doing that, but so can the state National Guard.

Most People died during Katrina due to the total corruption and incompetence of local and state government. After all the warnings, There was no organization. No plan. No evacuation. I think that clown they called mayor had laid on 12 school buses. WTF?? The total corruption of that city was exposed. Cops did not report for work and / or joined the looters.  Contrast that with the NYPD on 9/11.

And this is key, people died in the attics of their homes trying to stay above the water. They were trapped and died there. Where were the locals to help direct the rescuers to the correct houses? To account for missing people? Those that managed to cut thru the roofs were taken off by military helicopters. In the 9th ward it was every person for themselves. The young and strong survived, the old and weak were left behind. Not by the President, but by their "friends and neighbors" and local politicians. The young strong ones, who knew the local lay of the land and could have helped the trapped people, were busy lifting 75" flat screen TVs.

In the end, people died due to the indifference of their fellow citizens. The citizens of New Orleans. They just didn’t care about each other.

Cheers

Food for thought:

Katrina made landfall at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.  That town no longer exists.  At least not immediately after the storm.   There was not even any debris left.   But, this is a political storm, so no one cares about the folks in Mississippi.

Hurricanes still form off the coast of Africa EVERY YEAR, and head towards the Coasts of North and Central America and the Islands of the Caribbean.

New Orleans is STILL 10 feet below sea level.

Water STILL cannot be compressed

You do the math.

Better hope that next time there is a Republican in the White House.   Otherwise, who do we blame??? :(

Cheers

;

Here is something by Don Cherry that's music to my ears, I hope you like it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwDDz933ZI

Charles Earland is drifting;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cei2nxUhhB4

Enjoy the music.