Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ella is awesome.   She can't help but be.    The orchestra does not seem to have that 'Ellington" sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ADroVuFwM

Cheers

O-10, this will be my last response re this issue.  The history of this thread proves handily that nothing is gained by instigating this type of discussion and that the main motivator for doing so is no more than a selfish personal need to show to “the world” how righteously “compassionate” you are.  To my way of thinking, and since it could not be more obvious that those who want to engage are in the minority, combined with the fact that there is opposition to straying from the thread’s stated purpose, the answer is obvious: discuss it privately.  But, no!  You want to make sure that everyone knows about your views and about your “compassion”; views that I and others strongly believe are off the mark and not rooted in reality.  Bottom line:  by all means continue to do this if you feel a personal need to do so.  Obviously, no one except the moderators can stop you or anyone from going there, but don’t be surprised when reading opposition to going down that path instead of sticking to the subject of music.  

**** My posts pertain to things that should be important to citizens of this country who value "Democracy", ****

Have you no idea just how arrogant and condescending that comment is to someone who simply has a different view from yours?  Your posts are of value to me (and probably others) precisely because I value democracy.  In my book much of what you post is further proof of the dangers TO democracy as things stand currently.  However, do you really think that this thread is where the problems will be solved?  Where common ground will be found?  On a music forum, with all its limitations of expression; especially when there is zero indication that there is at least some willingness to consider a dissenting point of view?  Right! 

As is usual in human nature we see what we want to see; and how we want to see it.  I have not “blamed” you nor Rok for anything.  I have previously pointed out, from my perspective, what I believe an honest look at how some of the unfortunate interaction here has affected posters’ participation would show; and I don’t absolve myself.  Go over the posts on this thread, early and recent, and you will easily find that many stopped posting because of negative, provocative or insulting comments on the part of some.  The facts bear this out.  Why this should be a surprise is beyond me.  Who would want to subject him/her self to that nonsense?  Moreover, your recollection of the number of participants during the periods in question is also inaccurate.  Again, go over the post history. 

**** If we can not discuss music and other things important to this Democracy, maybe it's time for this thread to die. ****

Now we get to the crux of the matter.  Really?!  All the talk about being an “advanced aficionado” and how unique and insightful we are (yes, Rok, go over the posts if you don’t remember).  All the proclamations about how important this music is to you and on and on....and you are willing to let it die because you can’t discuss your views on social justice?  I see.  Of course, one of the main problems with that expectation is that there is seldom any real “discussion”.  A lot of statements and proclamations, but little discussion.  Nobody is stopping you O-10.  As far as the thread dying?  I doubt it.  The thread will survive ANYONE of us.  That’s a good thing, no?  Regards.  

Very nice clips, Rok.  Intrigued by:

**** the Orchestra does not seem to have that Ellington sound ****

???

I am used to the 'Ellington Reeds' having a prominent place in his music.

I guess with a singer, the arrangements are different.   But that is an old picture, could it be that he had not developed his signature sound at that time.

Not a criticism of the music.  Who the hell can be critical of Ellington?  Certainly not this musical peon.

Cheers