Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
“Corner Pocket”: Fabulous! One of my favorite Basie charts. Wasn’t aware of that record. Didn’t know Basie had recorded at The Sands except for the great record with Sinatra; a favorite. Wonderful drive as you say. That’s gotta be Lockjaw Davis on tenor. What a sound and I love his use of note inflections.  Quiz time! :

Can anyone name the tune that the trumpet player quotes at the very beginning of his solo? Hint: the tune was a big hit for (speaking of big bands) for a Cuban band leader from the 40s/50s whose last name sounds like the name of a famous fashion designer and whose first name is usually a last name 🤔

Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White -- Prez Prado

My big solo in high school

Cheers

Researching that great Basie ”Live At The Sands” recording that pryso posted I learned that this recording is from the warm up sets that the band would play before the “The Chairman” took the stage for the famous Sinatra At The Sands concerts. Here’s an earlier (1962) performance of the same chart. What a band! This time it’s Frank Wess playing a beautiful tenor solo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVX8BayOCA

Among the many great things that one could point to two stand out for me. One of the, if not exactly unsung, but certainly more subtle heroes in Basie’s band was guitarist Freddie Green. In practically every chart they played, subtly in the “mix”, one can hear Green’s acoustic (!) rhythm guitar chomp-chomp-chomping on every beat. It’s the kind of very important musical detail that is not fully appreciated unless it were not there at all. It added so much to the sound of the band and to that sense of drive that pryso mentions. He was also the author and arranger of “Corner Pocket” which leads me to the second point:

Check out Thad Jones’ trumpet solo! He plays first and is followed by Al Aarons. When was the last time we heard or read anything about what a great trumpet player Thad Jones was? Like Oliver Nelson his fame as a great orchestrator/band leader has made many forget what great players they were. The recognition that the arrangers deserve puts things in a different perspective for me. Not to take anything away from the leaders or headliners, but the reality is that without the great arrangers the leaders would not have nearly as much to lead. Although I’m particular fond of Neal Hefti’s arrangements for Basie, Sammy Nistico was another great arranger who helped define Basie’s big band sound. This is one of my favorite charts of his:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-UNkdyyvg