Finding the 'weakest link' when upgrading?

Being able to find the weakest link when upgrading is really, really important.
Otherwise a different new component may never really be able to show how it is better. Since the other ’weak’ component(s) is(are) masking the new components better sound.

This is a difficult problem.

My best example is not exactly about the least sound quality, but it may show something about it.
I upgraded a good portion of my equipment all at once when I retired. And I still had in my system an old DAC I bought used. When I received most of the new components (including new preamp, new amp, new speakers and a new turntable and cartridge), I was comparing my old DAC with the new one. And found no sonic difference. I mean I tried every way I could and could not hear any difference between them/ So either I just wasted $25,000 for nothing or?? I was very frustrated.
Anyway, after three weeks I got another new bit which had to be ordered and built
When I plugged in the phono box, an epiphany and a flood ot tears.. My $25,000 of new equipment really was better. Since the phono box sounded glorious, thus it made it clear all the rest of the system WAS NOT holding back the new DAC. That new DAC was actually just not any better than my old one. And I returned it.

And unless I just happened to acquire that new phono box a week later, I would have been stumped why the new DAC (which was praised to the skies by both Stereophile and TAS) was not doing better.
I was seriously bummed and confused about wasting a ton of money... until I played the new phono box.

Now it was kind of odd that the two DACs, one, used for $250 )it’ original list price was $1,000) and the other $2,400 and 12 years newer) could sound so alike. But chance happened. (And toss in the official guru magazine praise with it all)
==================================================================

Anyway, how do we find the right part to upgrade? Since making the wrong choice can leave one in the same boat I was in back in my example? (at least until I got the phono box)

I do not have an answer. and I ask.. does anyone?
For me it is just kind of a sixth sense, with little real science to it.

In general I have been kind of lucky.
But how do I know I have managed well?

I do not know.
It has been better more often than not.
(Though I have made a few really terrible choices over many years now and then. Costly choices)

Anyway, my question is how do you make the choice of what to upgrade?
How do you know or decide which is you weakest component?

And do you agree finding the weakest component is really important in the path of upgrading, or one might be making expensive mistakes buying gear, or trying gear? (which may really be great, yet you cannot hear it due to some other weak links in the chain? And though I hate to say so, this weak link may even be cables, or powercords or even the AC from the wall*.

*(but please do not get into a big theory arguments about interconnects and powercords and power conditioners.) Stick to the main topic of knowing how to find the weakest link.
elizabeth
Best of luck, absolutely seems the best way to go.

Your current amplifier should be more than enough up to the task of driving the 20.7s. Magnepan are little known in the UK but everything we hear is good.

It will be interesting though to hear what you think of the setup. By any normal account your system must be up there in the top 1% of what's available right now.
elizabeth
Great thread
I think or feel you need to identify what you are trying to do with the said upgrade. Listen to your system and identify what you feel is weak or needs to improve. Then relate that to the component or fix. Adding a new component may not fix or improve anything and may open up more questions. Judge the system for the sound not the new component.
enjoy Pete
@68pete ,

This was the rational for my previous post. You said it much better.
Now, a few weeks after getting the first pair of Magnepan 20.7
Which has a flaw and were replaced with another new pair.(minor issue but replaced, not going into the story here) Now that new pair are about three weeks of use breaking in..
Last week my dealer loaned me a Marantz SA-10 SACD player. I like it so much I am buying one from them. ($7000)
Main thing it brings is better treble and cleaner sound to CD. Plus I can play my other CD players through te SA-10 DAC. I own very few SACD, but play a lot of CDs.
My dealer had told me not to upgrade my amp as it would not much f a difference. I think he is right.
Hi elizabeth,

I think the best way to upgrade our audio is to upgrade  the whole system, not jut one component. I guess it is almost impossible to notice big differences in sound just upgrading a speaker, a preamp, amp, DAC, etc. because there will be a big mismatch of components. 

Another important factor is to have a sample of what you want your system to sound like. A $10K system will never sound like a $30K system, nor a $30K would never sound like a $50K system and so forth. About 2 weeks ago I auditioned 2 different setups; one was about $50K and the other one was about $100K.  All components were matched to their qualities in price and there was not weak link in the whole system.  What I listened to was a very impressive and amazing sound. 

All audio components work their best in concert with the rest of the system that are made about the same quality and price. 

Don't expect to get a night and day differences of a $15K speaker cable out of a $200 CD player.  You need a $15K turntable and a 180 gm brand new LP as a player device, $30K speakers, a $13K Preamp, $22K mono amps, $5K interconnects, etc.  Just then, you will notice a real difference.