John Prine

Was just sitting here listening to John Prine, marveling at the man, the talent, the songs, the humor, the tenderness, the joy, the humbleness.  Nothing more.
rpeluso
I first saw and became aware of John at the Philadelphia Folk Festival in the early 70's, a marvelous performer with an infectious personality.  One of those magical moments, been a big fan ever since. 
I have a bunch of Iris's music and have listened to it quite a bit over the years. Finally got a chance to see her in concert a few years ago and was really disappointed. I do not have any way of knowing but she sounded and acted absolutely sloshed that night. All I do know for certain is this was not anything close to her best recorded efforts.
A buddy of mine and I were riding around in his old rust bucket Chevy Nova II one night back in the mid seventies. Just a couple of teenagers with no place to go and no one to see. John was playing two shows at one of the local colleges. We decided to see if we could get into the second show. They put us in folding chairs behind the last row in the balcony. Through the show I kept thinking to myself what an unlikely star this guy makes. You could say a real diamond in the ruff. I've been a fan ever since.
Zoe Muth has a pretty good song about how she wouldn't date a guy because he didn't know who John Prine was. 

https://youtu.be/5sP4OhsL5VA
I learned of Iris from Merle Haggard, who loved her. John Prine obviously does. I think she’s an Angel sent from Heaven. As my Mama useta say: "Each to her own, said the lady as she kissed a cow".