Tweaks for a new ARC preamp?

Out of touch audio fan updating (a bit) a vintage system. Preamp is an Audio Research LS2MKIIB with remote which has been mine since 6/1994. Currently on a Siemens and Halske 6922 Cca grey plate with grounded tube cooler and the unit on spikes.  Sony XA5400 ES CD/SACD run balanced through to 2 Sumo Andromeda 2A amps with one amp each running an Acoustat 1100 ...  one channel on panel, one channel on base module.  Secondary source is a Sansui TU-9900 that has the works done by Mike Williams at Radio X including Burr Brown op amps.  All cabling is Straightwire Maestro or Virtuoso and the CD to pre to amp legs are run full balanced.  Room is treated by Acoustic Sciences

Strongly considering a strong deal on a brand new Audio research LS17SE and would like to know from those who have some much more current experience than mine about tubes (other than stock), power cords, etc., as possibilities for the new pre, should I execute the purchase.

Present system has great dynamics and soundstage, imaging is excellent but timbre and musicality are areas I expect to improve upon the change.

midareff1
i have both a SP17 and a REF5SE.....no comparison.....except they are both very coherent and musical....
IMO they both benefit from Ayre Myrtlewood blocks under them....but that could just be my cabinet...
the 17 went to my brother after evaluation...
Look for a Furutech cord the best match for ARC there is one for sale now on Audiogon jump on it ASAP!!!
Well, it wasn't an SP 17, it was an LS17SE.  If there is anything, and I mean anything the LS2B MKII has taught me over the years, and it's almost 25, is that it's sound and musical involvement is directly related to the vacuum tube in it.  Chinese or AR 6DJ8, yawn, Bugle Boy, Valvo...  I could go on but I have had them ALL in here at one time or another in the last 15 years.   It used to be simple, a Siemens and Halske grey plate 6922 from late 1950 to very early 1960 was King, until a pinched waist 1959 Valvo took over.  The real problem with these vintage tubes  ...  and there are no good Siemens and Halske 6922 Cca's left, is that they don;t last but a few hundred hours at best.  Too old, vacuum about compromised and heat cycles kill them and they get weak in the highs and bass.   Seems a 1975 Reflector silver wire is a fine replacement for that, maybe even a better replacement since I have one now painting a beautiful stage in the middle of my room with great detail and a bottom end to die for.
Anything that can't be shot out in my room can't come here.