Martin Logan speakers

Are Martin Logan speakers still considered to be high quality speakers?   (I have an opportunity to buy a used pair of Vistas)   I have an old Audio Research VT130 amplifier.    Would it be a good fit with the Martin Logans?  If not, what would be better, but not outrageously expensive?   
jcder
My friend , the above posts are appreciated because Martin Logan speakers are very worthy of consideration. Unfortunately, they don't address your basic question. My Vistas are augmented by Martin Logan Depth I subs, so I have cured some ills. As documented above in this blog, buying old Vistas, is very risky, why take a chance on a rather old speaker, now very long out of warranty.
'

I have a pair of Acent i, with a Martin Logan Desent i subwoofer. I power them with a SS Musical Fidelity intergrated amp, for a modesty priced system they sound fine to me.
To the OP, I haven't listened to Vistas specifically, but I've owned an older model in the Aeon i's, and a newer model in the Expression 13As, and I can say that yes MLs are very directional, and yes panel to woofer integration hasn't been a strength of theirs, but both of these are much improved with the newer models, imo.  I'm not sure where the Vistas sit in this spectrum, but If you can get a good deal, and you have a dedicated room where you can really fine tune the listening and speaker positions, then electrostats can be magical.  Don't throw them in the corners of a multipurpose living room and expect to get the same results.  

As for the 13As, I decided to stick with ML when I chose them over other dynamic / cone speakers like the Sopra 2s (which I also really liked) because they just blew everything else I demoed away in terms of imaging.  I will grant that you are probably giving something up in terms of dynamic slam vs a cone speaker, but larger panels help, and so do subs, so I'm not lacking for dynamics or low end extension. 

I still went with MLs even though I'm primarily a rock and electronic music guy and could afford more expensive dynamic speakers.   Hope that helps. 
I bought a pair of impression 11A’s last April, and I love em! 
Owned many many speakers over the years and these are one of my favorites. Bass is seamless to these ears.. I just wish I’d have gotten the 13A, for a little bigger soundstage and bass wallop (but these speakers can rock out in my 14’ x 25 basement listening room ..
Even though they aren’t for me, I completely get why some people love ML speakers and find most other types wanting.  They have their own sound that if you love it, you love it.

To the OP: don’t be put off by anyone else (like me) who prefer other speakers.