Brand new to vinyl: Help!

I am brand new to vinyl, but quite established in digital (CDs, lossless streaming, etc.).

I made the first foray to vinyl by purchasing an entry level turntable - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit.

I am using an Ayre pre-amp with phono stage and also Ayre amp.

While I am happy I have it up and running, I don’t think it sounds as good as my digital setup (Directstream DAC).

So what can I do to improve, short of buying a much more expensive turntable?

Things in my mind:

1 - Since it accepts DC power, buy a linear power supply

2 - Since my Phone stage on my preamp only accepts XLR three-pin connector, I bought a male RCA to male XLR cable from Amazon, less than $20. Do I need a better interconnect?

3 - Upgrade the cartridge (it comes with Ortfofon Red something)

Thanks!
128x128thyname
No. To preserve a balanced signal, you'll need separate hot and neutral for each channel, and a ground independent of those separate neutrals.

Does such thing exist?
I've always wondered what % difference the cartridge makes for the overall sound of the set up.  Does anyone know if there is such a thing as "home set up" i.e someone who comes to your house to set up your turntable and align your cartridge?  I'm located in Northern NJ.  Many thanks.
@thyname, DH Labs is a reputable firm; but the Bl-1 is XLR OR RCA; not RCA to XLR. You could call them to see if they have what you want; but I think the savings would go out the window. You are not just looking for RCA to XLR. The cable must be executed to be balanced, which involves how the ground and shield are attached to the connectors. Dis I say that well, @cleeds ?

@spoutouzert, I am located in Madison, NJ. There are several really good shops in the area that do great turntable work; but it wouldn't be cost effective to have them come to you. If they do it in their shop, the only things you usually have to worry about at home are placement and leveling.
 I'd be happy to discuss it off-line if you can provide contact info. 

Does AG have a messaging function?