DAC recommendations for CDs in 2-channel system

Can anyone share suggestions for a DAC to go with the following setup:

Odyssey Audio Kismet monoblocks
Odyssey Audio Tempest pre-amp
Dual 1229 turntable with Shure V3
crappy CD player (used as a transport)
Schiit Modi Uber (current DAC, OK not great)
Klipsch Cornwall I speakers

I listen primarily to CDs and some vinyl at fairly low levels. The amps and preamp were recent major upgrades, so I'm thinking about getting a DAC that will hold its own with the new components.

I don't have a budget in mind, but prefer a high value for dollar. Thanks in advance!
scoran

From the review:

"the $5,000 to $15,000 range is somewhat vacant. A few boxes come to mind, but they are mostly DACs. Simaudio’s 780D is exceptional at $15k, but it doesn’t play shiny discs."

Here’s something in that range, even better:

Overdrive SX DAC - $10,995-$12,995

Oppo Transport - $1200

Synchro-Mesh reclocker - $599

Total - $12,794 - $14,794

https://www.audiostream.com/content/empirical-audio-overdrive-sx-ethernet-dacpre

Unlike the PSAudio DAC, the ODSX has Ethernet input for the best sound quality.

Jitter from the Oppo with the Synchro-Mesh is ~20psec:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154408.0

IMO, It’s a big mistake to spend a lot on a transport that you could put towards a better DAC. It is relatively inexpensive to transform a decent transport into a world-class transport.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

@twoleftears that Border Patrol DAC (eg. on the LTA site) has made me drool. there was a used on the classifieds recently that got snatched up.

@sorcan. I would support the Oppo suggestions. Transports are not created equal from CD player to CD player. there are big differences in the sound quality. about 3-4 years ago I did an "A/B" Transport test b/w the Oppo 95 MULTIPLAYER ($1000) and my DEDICATED SimAudio Equinox SE CDP ($2500). the Oppo was humiliated. 

But in your situation: you have a self-professed crappy transport, which tells me that if you use a crappy transport with even very good DAC like the Schiits that have been suggested above, you will still get inferior sound for what you have already paid for.
Because in the electronic chain from source to speakers, the SQ Sound Quality can only degrade and get worse, it will NEVER get better per se. I mean, it might get "different" and you may like that "different", but it will never recover resolution that has been lost earlier in the audio chain. 

So your best bet, if you have $1000, is just to pick up an Oppo to get the CDP and transport in one unit. Down the road, your upgrade chain would be to perhaps use the Oppo as transport only, and hook up to a dedicated Schiit DAC and/or use reclocking devices to clean up the signal as Steve has suggested. 

But sorcan, what is you budget?
and are your ears sensitive to higher frequencies? perhaps not.
when I ran Klipsch HORN speakers with SS, made my ears hurt.
I too am using Odyssey Kismet Mono Blocks driving Maggie 3.7panels with DWM woofers in parallel. I also owned Cornwalls in the late 70'S. The Dac I purchased a couple of years ago is the PS Audio Direct Stream Junior. Great sound in every respect, and I came off f a Benchmark HGC 2 Dac to switch. No one but no one does customer service like PS Audio. Call them up,They are the friendlies folks around and will answer any and all questions, never rushing you.T
ry their website and chek out the Forums. Again very informative. That Dac sells for $4000.00 but with a decent trade can be had for $3000.00.