Esoteric SA-60

Never have I had such problems with a piece of equipment.  It's connected to the 7.1 bypass array of a Bryston SP3.  The display shows multichannel when I play a surround SACD, but I get sound only from the center channel.  I removed the parallel balanced stereo connection between the SA-60 and SP3, but that had no effect.  I never heard stereo from the SA-60 when I selected the balanced input, but I think I've heard stereo and multichannel from 7.1 bypass.

The trouble seemed to start when I learned that the SP3 does no processing in the bypass modes so provides no speaker management.  I set up speaker management using the menu of the SA-60.  But I've tried clearing the SA-60 memory several times since then.

I hope the problem is pilot error and not a defective SA-60. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Hi dbphd, 

u may be the only one around still doing SACD surround. Not sure if u still use SA-60. I am debating if I should get the SA-60 vs a new Oppo modded but the latter still costs >$3000. How do you like the SA-60 now? if surround is similar to Ayre it must be really good as latter is a better player supposedly. I suspect perhaps the old school Sony sounds more musical than newer Oppo ? 
atacgene,

I have no experience with a modded Oppo 205, but I'm suspicious of such mods. I do have an unmodded 205 and 105D.  I think the SA-60 sounds superior to either as an SACD player.  I recently replaced my SA-60 with an Ayre DX-5 DSD universal player that sounds a bit superior to the C-5xeMP, plays BDs, and does Roon via USB.  I think $1500 is a fair price for the SA-60.  If interested, I'm dbphd@cox.net.

db 

Thanks! for the update- dbphd

keep me posted as you massage the DX-5 into your system.

Happy Listening!

Yup I am interested! though I just placed a bid on a SA-60 on the web.  If I don’t succeed In winning,  will contact u! The thing is that I am sick of Sabre chip. I have oppo 95. In what ways do u think the Sony is better for SACD?