DAC recommendations for CDs in 2-channel system

Can anyone share suggestions for a DAC to go with the following setup:

Odyssey Audio Kismet monoblocks
Odyssey Audio Tempest pre-amp
Dual 1229 turntable with Shure V3
crappy CD player (used as a transport)
Schiit Modi Uber (current DAC, OK not great)
Klipsch Cornwall I speakers

I listen primarily to CDs and some vinyl at fairly low levels. The amps and preamp were recent major upgrades, so I'm thinking about getting a DAC that will hold its own with the new components.

I don't have a budget in mind, but prefer a high value for dollar. Thanks in advance!
scoran
I too am using Odyssey Kismet Mono Blocks driving Maggie 3.7panels with DWM woofers in parallel. I also owned Cornwalls in the late 70'S. The Dac I purchased a couple of years ago is the PS Audio Direct Stream Junior. Great sound in every respect, and I came off f a Benchmark HGC 2 Dac to switch. No one but no one does customer service like PS Audio. Call them up,They are the friendlies folks around and will answer any and all questions, never rushing you.T
ry their website and chek out the Forums. Again very informative. That Dac sells for $4000.00 but with a decent trade can be had for $3000.00.
Down the road, your upgrade chain would be to perhaps use the Oppo as transport only, and hook up to a dedicated Schiit DAC and/or use reclocking devices to clean up the signal as Steve has suggested.

+1

That is precisely what I’m doing, albeit minus Steve’s suggestion of a reclocker. I maintain the "clean up" (jitter) is successfully handled by the DAC itself. No need, IMO, to clean, and then re-clean again.
that Border Patrol DAC (eg. on the LTA site) has made me drool. there was a used on the classifieds recently that got snatched up.

I am the one who bought the Border Patrol dac. To my ears, in comparison to my Yamamoto YDA-01 dac, the BP is more holographic with more meat on the bones. In addition, it does more to get my toes tapping and my head bobbing. This dac is right up my alley, well suited to my listening style and preferences. If you are the type that likes to close your eyes and completely relax while listening, the BP dac might also be a worthy consideration, but you might also want to audition other dacs. The BP dac perhaps is not the last word in detail. There is not the blackness and air between images that one might hear in systems that are geared toward extreme high resolution. Turning off the EZ80 tube rectifier tube, which can be done by pressing the front button, well get you in the direction of blackness, air and endless decay, but the magic is not quite the same. For me, the BP dac in EZ80 mode is quite engaging. Mesmerized is how I feel, YMMV. I have already had a few listening sessions of 5-6 hours in the short time that I have owned it. I have a strong feeling that it is a keeper.
I have no love for the Oppo.  If you like your digital to sound like digital that’s the one for you.

My suggestion is get rid of the transport period.  Load all your cds into a Blue sound Vault 2.  It sounds better than my Oppo 105D.  Plus now you have all your music accessible from your iPhone or iPad.  Then if you want to really bump up the performance, add a Chord Hugo.  The Bluesound has a digital out so no problem.

The Hugo is really small so space will be no problem, plus you basically get a free headphone amp with an awesome dac.  No fancy power cord is needed so you get to save some dollars there.

Btw, the Bluesound is very compact as well measuring approximately 8X8X4 inches with 2 TB storage.

This will be my primary playback source for my new summer home.  

Approximate pricing, Vault 2 new 1299.00, Hugo used 1100.00.  
Scoran, sorry so late in getting back to you. I understand your hesitation after reading the technical review.  I own a Schiit Bifrost w/o the usb input, purchased used. I use a M2tech Hiface USB/SPDIF converter with it. Seems to sound OK to me in a second system. So many DACs to choose from. I currently use a Bryston BDA-1 in my main system, it has several inputs and dual outputs which I need.

I think if I were looking for a DAC to pair with a transport I would look into the Border Patrol that has coax input only.

Good luck in your search.